The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contacted California Highway patrol commercial compliance department about F450 classification.

The 2008 F450 pickup is not a pickup as defined by DMV code. It must be registered under CVRA (Commercial Vehicle Registration Act) with the GCW of F450 and Towed Vehicle. In my case that is a FW with 18,500# Mobile Suites. GCW weight declared 26,001-30,000# for registration fees.

Weight decal (6"x6" decal with number 30) is issued with registration for display on passenger and drive side doors. The decal must be displayed and vehicle is required to stop at open weight stations.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gifDo not pass weight station or you are subject to misdemeanor violation and fines. Ignore weight station sign "No Pickups", your F450 is not a pickup.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gifThis is not my opinion. This information is from the California Highway Patrol department (CHP phone#: 916-445-1865) that enforces compliance.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifIgnore if you wish, you might not get caught. Dealer where I purchased already has had a customer cited for being overweight. He was towing FW with F450 registered as commercial vehicle under 10,000# unladen GVW.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any truck with a GVWR of 11,500lbs or more is under the jurisdiction of the Commercial Enforcement Unit in California and you have to have at minimum a CA# and a Motor Carrier Permit. In my case, I have a F350 Dually Crew Cab with a GVWR of 13,000lbs and have to have the above items and stop at open scales, BUT only if not towing. I'm retired, pull a fifth wheel and do not use my truck to make money. This is a 2000 law that the CHP is enforcing. I don't agree with it, but I don't want the $1000 fine if caught in non compliance.

·
Registered
830 Posts
This looks like a inforcement nightmare. So do truck from other states have to comply while on vacation in CA. How can they tell when you whis by at 80 and in traffic where your from. I bet if all of the 350 dules and 450 were to pull into the scale they could tire up traffic for miles, at least here is Southern CA. And p*** off a lot of trckers.

LeRoy

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
I was told while I was in CA that they don't want to mess with "pickups" and trailers, even like mine with the car hauler trailers. (ISPECTION stations, (Fruit and veggies) YES everyone stops) But not the "DOT stations...) That if you do stop, you will likely get messed with for sure.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I sure would like to hear that FROM A CA DOT officers mouth first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif Luckily everyone I passed while in Cali, was closed anyway, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I didn't get the chance to "Test this theory",,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JimTJr:
[ QUOTE ]
I was told while I was in CA that they don't want to mess with "pickups" and trailers, even like mine with the car hauler trailers. (ISPECTION stations, (Fruit and veggies) YES everyone stops) But not the "DOT stations...) That if you do stop, you will likely get messed with for sure.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I sure would like to hear that FROM A CA DOT officers mouth first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif Luckily everyone I passed while in Cali, was closed anyway, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I didn't get the chance to "Test this theory",,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with CHP commercial compliance officer and 15 minutes with DMV registration section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifThey both confirmed that a F450 is not a pickup according to California DMV code. They also confirmed that a F350 DRW is not a pickup according to California DMV code. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gifBoth departments would not accept the argument that a Trailer Coach is exempt from CVRA and as such should not be considered as contributing to GCW when towed by a F350 DRW or F450.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gifWhat this means is that your vehicle is subject to CVRA rules if either the GVW of the truck (not an excluded pickup) is greater than 10,000# or the GCW of the truck and towed load is over 10,000# you will be issued 2 weight decals that must be displayed on your vehicle driver side and passenger side door.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gifFurther you will be require to stop at all open weight stations or be subject to a misdemeanor violation.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Now I know why so many folks from California are moving to Oregon, Nevada, and Utah.

Florida Ed

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've stopped at weigh stations all over the US in F350s to F550s. Its usually a pretty minor deal actually provided your rig is in good condition. There are alot of stations even in the midwest where they require any vehicle over 10k lbs to weigh, and our F350 dually service trucks are even over that weight. Most times when I pull through I barely even get time to stop on the scales before they're waving me through.

I only had a problem one time and that was 2 years ago trying to cross into TX from LA on I-10. I had one of our F550 extended chasis service trucks pulling a 36' Macdon flex draper on a high speed trailer. The day before I had just gotten the new registration in the mail (company transfered the title from IL to PA) and an error was made and LA was not an apportioned state on the registration anymore (I didn't catch this). So in my drive from MS to TX the fastest way was through LA. The thing that caught their attention was that they could not see my plates (PA doesn't have a front plate), so they pulled me in. When I showed my registration they hit me with a $200 non apportioned vehicle fine and had to buy a $25 temporary apportioning permit to go the last 5 miles.......DOH!! Lucky for me he did not hit me for overweight as I was at a shade over 27k when I'm registered for only 26k (had to take a parts box with and that put me over the edge). From then on anytime I have to drive our trucks where I have to hit a weigh station when pulling a trailer I take the plate off the back of the truck and put it up front. I have not had a problem since then.

Really the thought of going through weigh stations shouldn't be any big deal, just make sure you're displaying your numbers correctly and you know your weights. 90% of the time they'll wave you through.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is no possible way I would have that big arse 6"x6" sticker on the side of my truck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
How can they tell when you whis by at 80

[/ QUOTE ] They will be after your real quick if you are towing a FW. The truck and towing speed in CA is 55 - period and I have a ticket to prove it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Fellas, I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but those of you that have the "motor truck" wearing pickups clothing are also subject to hours of service regulations. CA adopted the new law to align themselves with the federal regs.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
CHP cars will exceed 80!
They will come out of the weigh stations like a swarm of hornets.
Speeding truck/trailers are prime targets.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

·
Registered
830 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] They will be after your real quick if you are towing a FW. The truck and towing speed in CA is 55 - period and I have a ticket to prove it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ment not towing. Yea I know about the 55 but I push it a little. Just go along with the other truck traffic towing

LeRoy

·
Registered
830 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Fellas, I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but those of you that have the "motor truck" wearing pickups clothing are also subject to hours of service regulations. CA adopted the new law to align themselves with the federal regs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean we have to keep log books too?

LeRoy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im not saying any of you are wrong, but I have never seen any dually 350 or 450 truck in CA with a travel trailer or 5er attatched with any weight stickers on the doors. If this is true, it would seem that most are not compliant and would be an easy target for CHP. I also dont see a number of these vehicles pulled over on the side of the road with CHP behind them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i think if its a private personal vehicle they can pound sand.
If you are reigestering it as a commerical(business use)vehicle then DOT rules apply regardless of the area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
All pickup trucks in California have commercial tags. First year tags were a few dollars short of $600. and I paid $12K less than MSRP. The NOT FOR HIRE and RV USE ONLY signs do not work. I've talked to six people (CHP) and they say they are now enforcing a 2000 law that any truck with a GVWR of over 11,500lbs has to have CA# and MCP regardless of use. GM and Dodge federalized their 3500 truck at 11,400 and 11,200 to get around this law. New "Sheriff in Town" (Commercial Enforcement Unit) is the reason I'm told and the extra $35 a year "Arny" gets. You can email [email protected] and get it straight from the horses mouth. I even called the Desk Sargent at the closest scales and was told the same thing.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several and will get several more. You better be towing a ramp if your doing 55 in ca.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Commercial Enforcement Unit knows that all F450 and F550 trucks are rated over 11,500lbs. They are also now aware that the 07 and 08 F350 duallys are over the 11,500. The NOT FOR HIRE and RV USE ONLY signs will now get you pulled over real quick, "It's a red Flag" as one officer told me. The "It's only for Business Owners" is not correct. The law states any truck over 11,500 GVWR needs a CA# and MCP. It doesn't state that Recreational Vehicles are exempt, yet ,when I pull my fifth wheel, I don't have to have my placard on the truck!? Phone number to the commercial Enforcement is 530 225-2098

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Remove all badges, we don't need no stinking badges.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts