The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 from what i've been told could have split shot injecters. does anyone know how to read the vin# to find out if i have a CA model? my truck came from out west im just not sure if it was as far west as CA.

·
Premium Member
5,972 Posts
blackcloud -- The easiest way to tell if you have a California emissions truck is by the PCM calibration code. There is no way just by looking at the VIN to determine if the truck came from California. If there is a DSO code on the Vehicle Certification Label, that may help narrow it down.

Cheers from Orlando, FL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dave

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the dso code and where is the certification label? are you talking about the catylist label? sorry if this is a dumb question but i really dont know!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
May sound kinda dumb, but I was told that the CA models were the only ones that had the power mirrors on our trucks. I've also heard them referred to as the "California Mirrors". I also know that you can definately tell the CA model by looking at the fuel pump, and if you have the Bosch Fuel Dampner behind your fuel pump preventing you from replacing the fuel pump without removing the turbo and the pedestal, then you have a CA model. Supposedly the CA models were the only ones with the BOSCH dampner.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have the power mirrors and will have to check for the fuel dampener. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,972 Posts
blackcloud -- The Vehicle Certification Label is on the drivers side door; it is the big sticker that has the VIN, axle code, paint code, etc. If there is a DSO code, it would be on the right side of the sticker.

97F250PSD4X4 -- I forgot all about the fuel damper on the California trucks; good call! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fuel Damper, California Vehicles Only
The fuel damper is located behind the fuel pump and is incorporated to control fuel pulsing.

Fuel Pulse Damper, California Vehicles Only
1 - Fuel Pump Damper (California Only)
2 - Fuel Pump
3 - Fuel Supply Line
4 - Banjo Bolt
5 - Turbo Pedestal O-Ring Seal

Dave

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
non cal trucks also could have the power mirror option. Mine does and its not a cal truck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Personally, I don't believe that the 96 Calif. trucks had the split shot injectors. As to if it was sold in Calif. go to carfax.com and enter the VIN number. Not sure of the cost but you can find out known history of the vehicle including date and where sold.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
splits came out in 96.5

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks everyone it doesnt have a dso code so no splitshots!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That is ugly. I think I will try to make some inline pulse dampeners to put on each head to fix the pulse problem.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I apreciate the offer and I will keep it in mind but I dont know if it will be worth taking the turbo off to put it in or did I hear wrong about that??

I also will have to totally revamp the fuel system to an electric pump if I go with the BDS stealth pump. Gotta save up a lot of coin before I do that though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
988 Posts
A FEW THINGS:
a cali truck has that a federal truck does not. my dad has a cali truck and i have a federal.

1. the bosch fuel dampener under turbo.
2. the sticker on the passenger side vavle cover has teal writing instead of black or whatever ours are.
3. with hood open look up by where the latch goes in there is a sticker there that says obd2 compliant and ca emissions legal and some other stuff. ours do not have this sticker.
4. these trucks are quiet as hell. if your truck does not sound like a 99-03 psd then its probably a regular single shot federal truck.
5. you will have a jka2 or 3 pcm code (for a 97)
6. an mle1 burned chip did not work for my dads truck but a jka4 burn did.
good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Rich
Was there something odd about the turbo intake wheel in your pics or was it just the angle that made the stock whell look weird???

BDS stealth is very nice, but too many other projects in line first, like getting Brian to replace my TC (and any upgrades that need to be done to it since he rebuilt it), intercooler, propane, and split shot burn with propane and custom tuning to the shifting in my TS chip.

·
Premium Member
5,972 Posts
blackcloud -- You may want to double-check everything under the hood to make sure. Just because there is not DSO code on the Vehicle Certification Label does not mean your truck is not a California Emissions truck. All the DSO code would do is help determine where the truck was iniitally sold.

Dave

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
blackcloud -- You may want to double-check everything under the hood to make sure. Just because there is not DSO code on the Vehicle Certification Label does not mean your truck is not a California Emissions truck. All the DSO code would do is help determine where the truck was iniitally sold.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Daves back!
Good to see you posting...
Rick H...
Oh, nothing to ad to the question at hand, sorry.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
My truck did not come with any of the California identifying stickers on it. The only reliable ways to tell is to look for the Bosch pulsation damper on the fuel pump banjo or pull the valve covers to check for the AA or AB (split shot) injector identifier. Mine takes the MME-2 though MME-7 PCM programming which are auto trans programs. The MLE, as I recall, is a Calif. split shot stick trans code. The sound level is not noticably different than my buddy's 95 but both have the tymar HX hose. Build dates range from about March-April 96 to maybe December 97 according to past postings on this site. Some California trucks apparently were sold new in the other 49 states according to owners who bought them new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts