21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
...no more than I will use my 4WD new sealed u-joints would probably last me the rest of my (trucks) life.
Even if you plan to use & abuse them non-stop, sealed U-joints will last longer with less maintenance than greasables. And they're physically stronger.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a question about my Dana 60 oil seals. I didn’t have any oil in the axle tubes until I pulled the axle out of the carrier (low side on stands)
How long (Miles) do these seals normally last before needing replacement?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I realize that probably depends on 4WD usage.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Waiting on parts Sucks! Cleaned and wire brushed this morning, a coat of fosfo, and then black paint tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,072 Posts
I have a question about my Dana 60 oil seals. I didn’t have any oil in the axle tubes until I pulled the axle out of the carrier (low side on stands)
How long (Miles) do these seals normally last before needing replacement?
At least 200K miles( YMMV :winking:). I replaced my D50 axle that had problems with a new 04 D60 takeout. I've had the axle shafts out of that one at least once, and the axle seals (just outboard of the differential) are still fine. I leave my hubs locked all winter, as well.

You have to pull the differential to change them, so if they aren't leaking ...... well you know the saying - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Since I’m waiting on parts I’ve been searching / reading all the old posts about front hubs on TDS. Came across the Dynatrac Free Spin modification. A lot of old posts, but nothing recent. Went on-line to manufacturers web site, Seems like a good mod and don’t see any negative comments on TDS other than initial cost. I’ll see how these $300. hubs hold up this time, but Geeeeeeez - $1900.00 is a lot of money..........But I guess since I would be doing the labor it might be worth it in the long run

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That’s $300. X 2 ($600. + parts, hub seal, dust seal, ......... I don’t want to do this very often

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Be advised that the standard C-clamp style ball joint/u-joint press won't work on them. The cups are too large to fit in the hole in the press, and putting any rings in will make the clamp too small to fit around the yoke. A hydraulic shop press will be needed.

Heading up town to buy a six pack and lottery ticket! Wire brushed, soaked in liquid wrench, and got the u-joints apart with a hammer and spacer (old lug nut key) 😗

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,072 Posts
Good Job! There's always the BFH approach. :grin2:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts