The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to possibly replace my calipers, along with pads and rotors, on my next brake job. Mine are the OE equipment that came on the truck when it was manufactured.

Will contact my dealer to see if new OE ones are available or possibly go with Motorcraft calipers if OE is not available.

For those who have replaced theirs with Motorcraft calipers, what has been you experience with them?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I replaced my rear calipers with Motorcraft loaded calipers. New pistons, pads, bolts, hardware. I also replaced the brake line hose to the rear calipers. The front calipers I replaced the pads, hardware and the brake line hoses.

The rear calipers were hanging up. That is why I replaced the entire calipers. I replaced the front calipers with loaded (pads & hardware assembled) the previous brake job.

I will only use NEW Motorcraft. I ordered from Rockauto.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Isn’t OE the same thing as Motorcraft?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if OE is Motorcraft or not. I "think" OE are all newly manufactured new calipers and all Motorcraft calipers are remanufactured to Ford's specifications, but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Isn’t OE the same thing as Motorcraft?
I believe OE is Motorcraft.

Why would you want to buy a rebuilt caliper? I would prefer new pistons in the caliper with the new pads to ensure they do not fail before the life of the pads.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
After a period of time new calipers aren't available because Ford stops making them. I believe they only have to make parts for a M/Y for 5 years or something like that. After all the new parts are gone than all you can get is a reman part. That is why there is a core on some parts. It keeps older trucks on the road and brakes are nothing that should keep a great running truck off the road. Nothing wrong with a reman part. However I go to Napa for things like that. Not Autozone.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I buy them from Rock Auto. You can get either new or reman from them. Either new or reman work fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have bought stuff from Rock auto BUT make sure that the part you order is exactly the part you want. I got some parts only to find that they weren't correct and i had to pay to return them. It was my mistake so I only have me to blame nut make sure it's the correct part. I did however get good quality parts from them. Descent shipping time though.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Why are you replacing them.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Safety. My truck was manufactured in 08-2001, make it eighteen years old with the original factory calipers. Preventive maintenance for safety reasons. Wife and I do some mountain driving in the summer. Time for new rotors and also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts