The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 PS has been acting up and the scan tool reads a 0344 code. I purchesd a CPS and the CPS bolt is frozen and I am afraid I'm going to snap it off. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks,
DBoss

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
If you can wait until the engine is good and cold, you should have an easier time of it. A little Vasaline on the new one helps as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,212 Posts
Just use a breaker bar or a short piece of pipe and a 6 point socket. The CPS bolt on my truck was very tight also. It will make a pop sound when it breaks loose.
Bob

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
WD40, go drink a cup of coffee or a cold beer (depending on time). Then what RDG suggests.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with all of the above, I just changed mine two weeks ago.

My '02 died on me at idle 4 times over about a two month period, so I figured it was trying to tell me something.

I had earlier purchased the new CPS from Powerstroke.com and put together an emergency kit with all the recommended tools (posted on this site) to do a field change out.

I had a long trip scheduled across the desert so decided to change at home before the trip which I am very glad I did. I got out my kit which included a 1/4" ratchet with 10mm 6 point socket and I thought it would be a breeze....WRONG! It didn't take me long to break the Craftsman 1/4" 6pt socket at 3 points.

I next used a Snap-On 3/8" braker bar with a 6 point and it was still very hard to break loose. Once I broke it loose with the "snap" as described above (I thought I broke the bolt which would be a VERY bad thing) the bolt came right out.

Next problem I had was prying the CPS out of the block. I had the recommended pry bar and flat blade screw driver as recommended in my emergency CPS kit and I could not get either under the CPS.

I finally took a pair of Channel Locks and very gently twisted the CPS back and forth with as much movement as clearance allowed while applying an outward force. I was able to move it out enough to get a small pry bar under it and by alternating sides and was able to free it. It seemed to be cocking unless I alternated sides. Once the O-ring was clear the CPS came right out.

The instructions posted on this forum suggest using anti-sieze on the bolt on the reinstall...now I see why. The next change will be a piece of cake because of the anti-seize.

When the 1/4" socket bolt broke the socket flexed outward and slipped which rounded the points on the bolt so I went to Ford and got some new bolts, they come in a four pack so I threw the extras in my road kit along with another new CPS. Would you believe I had to order those bolts! My Ford dealer did not stock them, but they came in the next day for under a buck a piece.

Good luck...just don't break that bolt! I don't know how you would be able to extract it if it broke...you would probably have to take the radiator etc. out to get a straight shot at it.

Harley Monster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,I squited some PB Blaster on it yesterday and will try to break it loose. I broke a Mac six point socket yesterday so I will try my Snap-on socket today. I hape i don't break the bolt this would be a pain to repair.

DBoss

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good luck Boss!

The cast iron really grabs that bolt.

Even if you are not changing your CPS it might be a good idea to break that bolt loose, take it out and put some anti-seize on it when you are home and have all your tools. This would be a pain to do in the field for the first time. Just carrying a spare CPS and the tools to change it gives you false security.

It would be a good idea to get some extra bolts because I think it is hard to get them out the first time without damaging the head.

Harley Monster

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Boss on reinstall be sure you put the bolt in with out cross threading it.....was down that path and would not wish that on anyone....the cast that HarlyMonster speaks of is Aluminium.....and strips...ahem...faster then a "dancer" at a peeler bar... if not careful.....

jrc

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with all of the above, I just changed mine two weeks ago.

My '02 died on me at idle 4 times over about a two month period, so I figured it was trying to tell me something.

I had earlier purchased the new CPS from Powerstroke.com and put together an emergency kit with all the recommended tools (posted on this site) to do a field change out.

I had a long trip scheduled across the desert so decided to change at home before the trip which I am very glad I did. I got out my kit which included a 1/4" ratchet with 10mm 6 point socket and I thought it would be a breeze....WRONG! It didn't take me long to break the Craftsman 1/4" 6pt socket at 3 points.

I next used a Snap-On 3/8" braker bar with a 6 point and it was still very hard to break loose. Once I broke it loose with the "snap" as described above (I thought I broke the bolt which would be a VERY bad thing) the bolt came right out.

Next problem I had was prying the CPS out of the block. I had the recommended pry bar and flat blade screw driver as recommended in my emergency CPS kit and I could not get either under the CPS.

I finally took a pair of Channel Locks and very gently twisted the CPS back and forth with as much movement as clearance allowed while applying an outward force. I was able to move it out enough to get a small pry bar under it and by alternating sides and was able to free it. It seemed to be cocking unless I alternated sides. Once the O-ring was clear the CPS came right out.

The instructions posted on this forum suggest using anti-sieze on the bolt on the reinstall...now I see why. The next change will be a piece of cake because of the anti-seize.

When the 1/4" socket bolt broke the socket flexed outward and slipped which rounded the points on the bolt so I went to Ford and got some new bolts, they come in a four pack so I threw the extras in my road kit along with another new CPS. Would you believe I had to order those bolts! My Ford dealer did not stock them, but they came in the next day for under a buck a piece.

Good luck...just don't break that bolt! I don't know how you would be able to extract it if it broke...you would probably have to take the radiator etc. out to get a straight shot at it.

Harley Monster
Thank you. I spent two hours trying to get that bolt off today and rounded it out. I was thinking of getting an 8mm extractor socket. Mine says 8mm on the 6.0 powerstroke. Seemed like I could never get the right angle to make the universal joint work either and I was scared I would break it. What do you think about me trying a extractor socket or just bite the bullet and have the dealership do it?

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
Well half the decision has been made, the bolt head is now rounded off, can't ignore it, you may but be in a snowbank next time and can't perform a roadside repair.

Me, I would try to get it out myself first before I Dealerized it. There is no magic at a Dealership.

Soak it hot engine with a good Industrial penetrating oil like Kroil or similar. Then let it cool off to ambient and soak it again let sit for a few hours. Hit the head of the bolt a few times with and give it a try with your extractor.

Hope it comes out, if it breaks off you will likely have to remove obstructions until you can get better access for a more difficult removal involving drilling the stub out and re-tapping the hole. As tight as you describe it's probably a blind hole with the bolt forced into the hole bottom, unless it's cross threaded that's about the only way to get a small bolt as tight as you describe.

Reactions: DENNY
1 - 10 of 10 Posts