The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck broke down this morning. I suspect the EGR cooler.

I have the DPF deleted and used the DPF-R. If Ford wants to flash the truck, can they do it over the DPF-R? Or do I need to put it back to stock, have them flash, then reprogram before they start it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
they can flash it no matter what... so... it doesn't matter if you remove the DPF-R scripting or not, but you're gonna want to load the DPF-R files before you start it up, or there will be faults that give you the 'pull over safely' message and lock you out for half an hour.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It is more complicated then that, unfortunately. Because you have the tuner and dpf removed they probably will void your warranty and make you pay for the repair. If out of warranty then you are paying and life is easier. In this case, just tell them to not flash it. If they insist then you may need to return back to stock software, let them update it and then retune it before you leave the lot. I am not sure you can reload the tune after they update it... Don't know on that one. May also consider using an independent shop for the repair. Good luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
uh....

it's exactly as easy as I said...

the man is driving an '08- and it's more than safe to say the OE warranty is over on a seven year old truck, based on time alone. He may have an extended after-market, but even then, generally those guys don't care unless what you're getting fixed can be PROVEN to have caused or contributed to the issue they are dropping $ on fixing....

OP, you can either return to stock, or not, either way... the only concern is if the VIN is flashed and altered, as the tuner is VIN locked. After they flash, and I would recommend you DO get flashed with all the updates that are out and about and for items far outside of simply engine/transmission (if tcm) management... you can turn around and reload your DPF-R tune without issue. It is extremely unlikely your VIN will be altered... IF they did such a thing, they'd have some explaining to do to more than just you. The flash they offer will address items both in and outside of the tables the DPF-R alters... the DPF-R isn't a complete flash, it only alters the tables it needs to do what it's expected to do. A 'complete' flash is most often called a 'recovery' tune, where each sector in every file is overwritten with the original datum, or what the OE is replacing it with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts