The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 4 door has every wire broken to the rear door right in the middle of the hinge. Been spliced once. Can a guy buy a new harness to the door? Option B is pull both ends of the harness out and try to splice new from both sides. Maybe even use a 7 wire trailer cord if it has enough wires. Sucks not being able to use the window, locks, or speakers.
AaronSEIA

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
I'm gonna say that it will likely be impossible to buy a new harness for your truck. It's nearly old enough to drink (maybe already in some states), and harnesses are low demand parts. Don't expect that Ford could even find one in their most remote warehouse.

Your best course of action is to either find one in a wrecking yard or rebuild yours. If your splices are right at the hinge, the way to do it would be to splice on either side of the hinge, or get new terminals to go in all the connectors inside the door and install wires on them long enough to get into the cab. If you're reasonably handy that should be do-able.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Harness sections are not available new for vehicles more than a few years old. Only wiring pigtails are, but there's probably nothing wrong with your connectors. Buy appropriate-gauge wiring (preferably in original colors from eBay or Amazon) to replace the damaged ones.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure I'll be stuck fixing it myself. I'll probably pull the door panel apart as well as the truck cab. Find a couple of good starting pints and give myself new wires through the door hinge. Guy I bought the truck off of thought he knew of new harness. Not gonna take my chances with a junk yard harness. I'll get new wire, heat shrink splices, and some good split loom for protection.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You shouldn't need split loom - the wires should be inside an accordion boot. But use good wiring harness tape - NOT cheap electrical tape.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I think that I would start hitting a few junk yards and see if I could find the harness. And if not the whole harness at least the wires going through the door jamb. Remember that it doesn't have to be from a diesel, just a crew cab. Even the wiring from a F150 might work.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
I "rebuilt" one of my 94's by removing it and then using some good quality wire (some with lots of fine strands for good flexibility). Heat shrink and soldered throughout. Seemed to work very well. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
...it doesn't have to be from a diesel, just a crew cab. Even the wiring from a F150 might work.
No crew cab F150s in this body style. :winking:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts