The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or better put, what do I need to do to change my flex plate?

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
You can change the flexplate without removing the transmission. Remove the engine. One or the other must be removed to change it.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
What Mark ^ said.

You've got to get at least enough room between the two to get the flywheel bolts out and re-torqued.

Reminds me of the one about the gynecologist who be came a mechanic and was able to rebuild an engine working thru the tailpipe. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Depends on how you define "remove"... Is this transmission removed?

It's still "in" the truck. ;) And the engine is still on its mounts.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve83, that's kind of what I was thinking. I'd like to have a look at the flexplate without putting the van on 4 jack stands high up enough to allow it to clear for complete removal.

Hopefully I can just scoot it back enough to see if that's what's causing the no-go.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
777, what are the symptoms? Is it a no start issue due to broken teeth or mis-aligned starter?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
777, what are the symptoms? Is it a no start issue due to broken teeth or mis-aligned starter?
No problems there, just doesn't move at all (engine spins free). Even when I lock the TCC, there's no movement. I can hear whizzing when the TCC is locked up though.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If your flexplate was broken you would hear it. It would be loud. My guess is your transmission is broke. If you want to verify this pull the flywheel inspection plate off and crank it up, you'll see that the flexplate is turning with the engine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
x2, a broken flexplate would make a helluva clatter.
I thought maybe the flywheel was still attached to the engine but the section that bolts to the torque converter had broken free. But that makes sense that this would be a loud problem.

I think you're both right on the racket. Sort of wishful thinking on my part. The trans was rebuilt around 10k miles ago.

Maybe if it were a perfect circular break... but... what are the chances of that.

Something else must be wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I have seen all kinds of failures and some that would kind of make the noise that you describe but to be sure everything still has to come apart to find out for sure one way or the other.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just took off the inspection / bolt-up cover for the flexplate/torque converter and the flywheel and torque converter are both spinning with the engine.

If I engage the TCC lockup clutch, I get a zinging/whizzing sound that I never got before. Could that mean I have a torque converter or maybe fluid pressure problem?

For anyone wondering about their flexplate... you can check it easily by removing ONLY the cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts