The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new AC compressor and didn't check how many grooves it was.My truck uses the one with 6 grooves. The one I bought( 8 grooves) was 142$ and the one with 6 grooves is 288$. Instead of sending the one I have back, I was thinking for 146$ I could change the pulley over from the old compressor. I watched videos of how to take compressors apart. granted none were for the compressor I have, but I think it'll work. I was just hoping for some reassurance. both AC compressors are similar( my dad has my truck right now so I cant say identical). the only difference is the pulley, I think. when my dad gets back ill check for sure.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Pulleys can be removed/installed as long as you have the correct tools. There is a set made specifically for servicing AC pulleys. I bought my set years ago at Harbor Freight and IIRC it wasn't that much $$.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
As long as 6 of those 8 grooves line up with the rest of your FEAD, you don't need to change it.

But if you do, you'd have to change more than just the pulley; you'd have to change the entire clutch assembly, which still isn't difficult. There are some snap rings which are large enough to be removed & installed with picks & small flathead screwdrivers. Look at this diagram & the NEXT few:

·
Super Moderator
26,600 Posts
As long as 6 of those 8 grooves line up with the rest of your FEAD, you don't need to change it.
If you leave the 6 groove pulley on the compressor you won't be able to use an 8 groove belt, because the outside edge of the pulley is larger diameter than the grooved portion. It would tear up the belt in short order. You could use a 6 groove belt, but it might slip.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The original pulley is 6 groove. The replacement compressor he bought has an 8 groove pulley.

OP asked if he could change (swap) pulleys. I said yes with the right tools. Someone else decided just answering the question wasn't enough.

·
Super Moderator
26,600 Posts
The original pulley is 6 groove. The replacement compressor he bought has an 8 groove pulley.

OP asked if he could change (swap) pulleys. I said yes with the right tools. Someone else decided just answering the question wasn't enough.
My bad. :eek: I didn't go back far enough to realize it was an 8 groove pulley on a 6 groove system. I assumed it was an 8 groove system.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
No problem. I do the same sometimes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My 93 runs a 6 groove belt, it has had an 8 groove AC pulley on it for nearly 10 years, lines up fine, the two front grooves are unused. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts