The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having Hard start when hot problems. It takes lots of cranking for ICP values to finally hit 500 and start. Even when I get it to start, if shut off the engine and try to restart right after, it still takes forever to start.

So far I've:
- Replaced ICP
- New injector o-rings
- Replaced IPR
- Replaced all HPOP o-rings and gasket
- Rebuilt oil cooler
- Replaced HPOP quick fill check valve
- Used oil dye, couldn't find any external leaks.

The next thing on my list is the LPOP

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
Yes it can, but you should be seeing some relatively low pressures from that side as well. Before you just throw another part at the truck, do some testing. There is a 1/8" NPT test port on the side of the rear oil cooler housing (the one with the oil filter on it). Get an oil pressure gauge - you can even rent one at Autozone. Put it on and have someone crank the truck while you watch. It should build pressure almost instantly upon cranking. If it doesn't, then you can swap the pump fairly easily. I recommend the Melling pump as it is higher volume pump and doesn't have the directionality of the gears that you have to watch out for with the stock pump.

If you do have a slow to build pressure situation, there is a small possibility you have a crack in your pickup tube. The way to rule that out is to overfill the crankcase with 1 gallon of oil and jack the rear of the truck as high as you can. That will submerge the tube. If it builds pressure instantly with that setup, you're looking at pulling the engine to get the pan off.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
While the engine is running, you should expect higher than normal IPR values before you see low ICP readings with low oil pressure/volume from the low pressure side. I agree with putting a manual oil pressure gauge on it before anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts