The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been getting help from the guys over at RV.net as I plan for my first T/C. My Rear GAWR is 8250 lbs. My tires (Dually) combined have a higher rating than the axle as should be. I won’t be anywhere close to going over my GAWR. But why are there two different ratings on my tires— one for single and another for dually? I’m sure it’s a simple answer that I’m overlooking (and probably a dumb question) but would like to understand why.
Added a photo of the max load as shown on tire:
Single - 3042 lbs
Dual - 2778 lbs
Firestones Load Range E

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
25,485 Posts
From the Toyo Tire Load/Inflation table.
"Single/Dual Load
Some light truck tires may contain two load indices on the sidewall as part of the service description (i.e. LT 235/85R16 120/116S). The first load index applies to single tire fitments and the second load index refers to tires in dual. When LT tires are fitted in dual assemblies, the load capacity is reduced by 9% of the single load capacity to account for the affect of road crown." (I added the emphasis)
It makes sense to me. The tire of the pair that's higher on the crown of the road is loaded heavier than the one lower on the crown. Probably extremely conservative, though, IMO.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the explanation Kevin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts