The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to get TPMS set point adjusted?

I swear that I saw somewhere they could. So last trip to dealer, asked them to change the rear set point from 80psi to 50

They claim that they spent 40 min working on this and can not adjust setting.

Truck in question is a 2019 F350

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes. I have a 2019 F350 XLT 6.7L and used ForScan to change the TPMS settings to 60PSI all around and keep all tires at 65PSI. With the factory setting at 60/Front 80/Rear you'll be able to lower your rear tires down to about 70PSI. With the change in temp your pressures will drop about 1PSI for every 10 degree change in temp. So if it gets colder and the rears drop to 65PSI, it will set the TPMS light.
Once the TPMS light is set, you'll need to air up to 80PSI in order to get it to shut off.

Using ForScan and an OBDII connector you can adjust the defaults and then adjust your tire pressures. You can even shut off the TPMS system entirely but I wouldn't recommend this as it's there for a reason.

Hope this helps some...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Since I am told that it was the dealers master tech with 30 year of experience that couldn’t get this reprogrammed. Do you have any words of wisdom to pass on to them next week?

I will give this dealership one more shot before writing them off and start using the next dealer.

Yes, fully aware of how TPMS works. My other vehicles allow me to set the nominal pressure point..... kind a bummed that Ford has us locked out of this, and must have forscan tool to adjust

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Since I am told that it was the dealers master tech with 30 year of experience that couldn’t get this reprogrammed. Do you have any words of wisdom to pass on to them next week?

I will give this dealership one more shot before writing them off and start using the next dealer.

Yes, fully aware of how TPMS works. My other vehicles allow me to set the nominal pressure point..... kind a bummed that Ford has us locked out of this, and must have forskin tool to adjust
Umm, yeah. The technician is absolutely correct and your negative attitude toward your Ford dealer is a little unfounded. If you must cop an attitude please direct it toward Ford Motor Company as the truck is their product and have chosen to not allow the tire pressure specification to be changed with Ford diagnostic equipment. I am sure this is a liability issue. Once upon a time this practice was indeed permissible. The programmed pressure is specified on the VC label on the drivers B-pillar and cannot be changed by your Ford dealer. Be thankful there is a workaround.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm, yeah. The technician is absolutely correct and your negative attitude toward your Ford dealer is a little unfounded. If you must cop an attitude please direct it toward Ford Motor Company as the truck is their product and have chosen to not allow the tire pressure specification to be changed with Ford diagnostic equipment. I am sure this is a liability issue. Once upon a time this practice was indeed permissible. The programmed pressure is specified on the VC label on the drivers B-pillar and cannot be changed by your Ford dealer. Be thankful there is a workaround.
Whoa

No negative attitude, sorry you read it that way.

But as a consumer, if I don’t like the service I receive, me and my wallet will go shopping elsewhere. There is absolutely nothing negative about this, willing to spend my money where I will get the biggest bang for the buck.

Bet that most of us here do the same.

I have reread that post and could have worded a little differently, but I obviously don’t see the negativity that you have. Maybe it hit a little close to home for you personally, I apologize.

If the dealer can not change, it would be nice for the service advisor to just say that, versus a 10 min story of how, what, why, etc......

No problem, if I need to go out and find someone to help me out with the work around, absolutely will do that.

Have had this truck since early fall last year, this would be the only thing that need changing so message of rear tires being low will be a thing of the past.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
96STROKE - not a problem.

I am curious as to why you would want to run your tire pressure so low. It's still going to ride like a F350 and we have handling problems with these trucks when tires are an issue - low pressure, especially in the front tends to trigger steering oscillation. I know. I know. ;) You want it to haul like a Kenworth, ride like a F150 and get the fuel economy of a hybrid. (just kiddin ya)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
96STROKE - not a problem.

I am curious as to why you would want to run your tire pressure so low. It's still going to ride like a F350 and we have handling problems with these trucks when tires are an issue - low pressure, especially in the front tends to trigger steering oscillation. I know. I know. ;) You want it to haul like a Kenworth, ride like a F150 and get the fuel economy of a hybrid. (just kiddin ya)

Well, I am a believer in setting air pressure according to given load. Similar to air bags. More weight requires more pressure

For the tire to perform as intended, you can’t just air up to max for all situations. When empty/no load, the rear tires will be over inflated and only the center of the tread will have contact with the road. Reduced contact patch will have a negative affect to tire performance and obviously, uneven tread wear.
You can google all the info regarding correct tread contact patch.

But I would believe that you would agree max air pressure is required for max load capability.

Never owned a F150. Have had a couple F250s and current truck is my 3rd F350. I really like the F350’s and prefer the firmer ride vs the wishy washy car ride.
But I don’t like the new message center constantly telling me the rear tire are under inflated. Ford engineering missed the ball on this one in my opinion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts