The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that one can not flush a transmission cooler because of the size of the passages...is this true even if the transmission hasn't failed...yet.

Griz

·
Registered
884 Posts
I don't know....
I'm in the process of finding out...
I had a BTS transmission go out 4 years ago,[after 140K/mi] and replaced with a Reman. Ford Transmission.
My mechanic said he needed to replaced cooler with a larger cooler...
I said, it already had a larger cooler from BTS...a 6.0 cooler
He then said he'd blow it out....
45K/mi and 4 years later it seems to be running OK...
What are you betting ???

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When Ford replaces a tranny that's gone bad, they require that a Magnefine filter be installed in the line between the cooler and the tranny.
Magnefine 3/8 Inch Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter
I've bought them relabeled at NAPA, as well.
Cheap insurance, IMO.
I already have an in-line transmission filter installed on the output of the cooler. I always wondered why it wasn't installed before the cooler. I think Ford requires a cooler replacement when they change out their transmissions, but I've was thinking that was because the transmission failed and debris is now in the cooler and can not be cleaned out...their thinking anyway.

Griz

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I've heard that one can not flush a transmission cooler because of the size of the passages...is this true even if the transmission hasn't failed...yet.

Griz
you're right. failed or not, I would change it anyway to make sure that nothing will contaminated the new trans

·
Registered
884 Posts
When Ford replaces a tranny that's gone bad, they require that a Magnefine filter be installed in the line between the cooler and the tranny..
Couple of things....
1]. Ford did NOT replace my Tranny....my local mechanic did...
2]. If I remember correctly, when I got the paper work pouch,
that came with the tranny, it said something about NOT having to
put an in line filter in it....I remember talking about this with my
mechanic....I said it did need a filter,,, he said it didn't and showed
me the paper work...
3]. Sorry, I no longer have the paper work, as this all happened more
than 4 years ago, and I no longer needed it as it was out of
warranty

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple of things....
1]. Ford did NOT replace my Tranny....my local mechanic did...
2]. If I remember correctly, when I got the paper work pouch,
that came with the tranny, it said something about NOT having to
put an in line filter in it....I remember talking about this with my
mechanic....I said it did need a filter,,, he said it didn't and showed
me the paper work...
3]. Sorry, I no longer have the paper work, as this all happened more
than 4 years ago, and I no longer needed it as it was out of
warranty
Graupp, was this one of the Ford's "HD Transmissions" you had installed? If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Graupp, was this one of the Ford's "HD Transmissions" you had installed? If so, how do you like it?
Unfortunately NO it was NOT an ""HD" transmission
I wanted it, ""BUT"" the actual Ford dealer told me they didn't have parts for so I couldn't order it....
So I got a regular Ford Remanf. transmission in 2 days instead...
The way things are going for me now, is that I no longer tow a
10K trailer with my Excursion so it would have been a waste of money
anyway...
My local mechanic ordered it thru the local Ford dealer..
In my opinion the regular transmission would probably be OK if you didn't do any towing, to cause the tranny to heat up a lot...
From memory, I'd say the Remanf. tranny has some upgrades over the original Ford tranny that last 78K/m....
Like it holds in low when descending a hill...
The BTS was a great tranny for 140K/[email protected] $5000..
The Ford Remanf cost me $3000 complete
Brian said he'd take care of me and get me a rebuilt BTS in 10 weeks,
with freight both ways at $750, plus another $500 for R&R..
Given the expense and the time I threw the towel and and went with Ford Reg. Remand.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Add a triple disk converter and sonnax kit and you basically have a ford HD.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Add a triple disk converter and sonnax kit and you basically have a ford HD.
Well, BTS used to use a Precision Stallion converter in their
4R100 rebuilds...
If I'm not mistaken, the price used to run topside of $1000-1200...
So maybe that would make up the difference in the costs...
I had contacted Precision about rebuilding the unit when my truck was laid up...
They said it would cost $265 plus freight both ways...and would take about 3 days to rebuild....I figured turn around time at about a week to 10 days...
Well, the Ford Reman. came so fast and got installed so quick I just forgot about the whole thing then

·
Registered
129 Posts
I thought. BTS trans was the last one you ever buy?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I thought. BTS trans was the last one you ever buy?
Well, it's true....You don't have to buy another one if you can wait 2-3 months for them to get to you with a rebuilt unit

But, then again, it's not without costs....Freight both ways, R & R...
and car or truck rental while your waiting...

My BTS tranny went 144K/m in 9yrs....towing my #10K camper all over the country...

Would a Ford Reman. "" HD "" unit have done the same thing??? ..

My 'unqualified' guess would have been >>> "" YES""

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think we got a little off topic but that is okay I've learned a lot anyway. It is my opinion one can not flush or blow out a transmission cooler from a failed transmission. Another question...does anyone know why they install the in-line transmission filter on the output of the cooler instead of on the input inside fo the cooler?
Griz

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Another question...does anyone know why they install the in-line transmission filter on the output of the cooler instead of on the input inside fo the cooler?
Griz
If the failed tranny blew crud into the cooler, wouldn't you want to keep any residual crud (even after flushing it) out of the replacement tranny? Thus, putting the filter before the tranny to catch anything coming out of the contaminated cooler makes more sense than putting it on the inlet of the cooler to catch whatever might come out of the old cooler, go thru the new tranny, and to the filter.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
If the failed tranny blew crud into the cooler, wouldn't you want to keep any residual crud (even after flushing it) out of the replacement tranny? Thus, putting the filter before the tranny to catch anything coming out of the contaminated cooler makes more sense than putting it on the inlet of the cooler to catch whatever might come out of the old cooler, go thru the new tranny, and to the filter.

This is exactly why over the years I have seen countless people put hydro pump after hydro pump in equipment, Contamination. People not knowing or getting lazy and not taking everything apart, cleaning all hoses out and then installing a temporary filter head on the return line. I did once see one guy who was installing his third pump, install a filter head onto the high side. Well the filer ripped off, a total shower of oil, and a broken window the filter went thru. Not to be outdone, I thought I was so slick, I thought I could get away welding a crack in a filled 10 gallon hydro tank. It did not go well. The oil blasted cap off and exited the tank. Next day at lunch, the guy looked up at me and said," at least my oil shower was did not look like a volcano erupting.
So those are high and low hydro systems.
Any problem with putting one pre and aft cooler sans a current trans failure?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If a filter can stop crud from getting back into the transmission, why wouldn't it prevent crud from getting into the cooler also?

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
If a filter can stop crud from getting back into the transmission, why wouldn't it prevent crud from getting into the cooler also?
It could, but if there's already crud in the cooler, the idea is to keep it from getting back to the tranny. If your tranny and cooler are new, it definitely wouldn't hurt to add a filter either before or after the cooler.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It could, but if there's already crud in the cooler, the idea is to keep it from getting back to the tranny. If your tranny and cooler are new, it definitely wouldn't hurt to add a filter either before or after the cooler.
Okay I see your point now. When I installed my new 6.0 cooler I added the transmission filter...but it was installed after the cooler per instructions. I have always wondered why they said to install it there instead before the radiator/cooler. I thought maybe they were concerned the fluid would be too hot at that location for the filter.

Griz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts