The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you install a new A/C compressor and not connect it right away until I'm ready to change the complete system?

I need to change the belt and I will remove the bad A/C Compressor at the same time.

Should I connect it in any way or leave the electrical unplugged or what to do?

I don't have the time right now to have the entire system installed and just want the new belt installed and maybe the new compressor. the old compressor froze and damaged the belt a little.

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts
Yes you can - BUT! You need to either connect the compressor and draw a vacuum on the system and fill it with nitrogen OR don't connect the a/c and keep the plugs in the back of the compressor AND tape up all the open lines on the system. What you don't want to do is leave either the compressor or the system open to the environment. As far as the belt running on the compressor not hooked up - I would leave the electrical connector off. It shouldn't engage since the low pressure switch should be open, but never hurts to be safe. When you get around to hooking the a/c up - make sure and swap the dryer (and probably the orifice tube) and draw a vacuum for an extended time.

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts
Reactions: Gator5713

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out RT
Dam auto correct
In your long winded response never once did you mention the most important thing, make sure the brand new expensive compressor is oiled . But thanks for calling me out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes you can, and it's not that complicated. Put the new compressor in. Put some oil I it . PAC, PAG who cares? Run the cra# out of it and when your ready check back for the proper way to evacuate and recharge the system. Some people like to over complicate simple situations. Gotta love it

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts
Autocorrect makes for some good messages. There's a whole site devoted to it.

Didn't mean to get your panties in a WAD over it, just didn't want him searching for PAC oil while staring at a shelf full of oils with three letter acronyms all day. PEG, PAG - where the heck is the PAC? Anyway, there's a lot of steps involved in swapping your own compressor. Adding oil is just one. When he gets to that step, if he doesn't know how to do the job - he'll ask. Knowing him on the forum over the last several years through several ordeals he's worked through, I know he's a very competent, very thorough individual.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's all good. I was in a pissy mood yesterday... The compressor I just installed called for half of the oil in the compressor and half in the accumulator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts