The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 7.3 with a manual tranny in it, last week I was climbing a pass and the truck started running real rough and lost power. Once I got to where I was I tested the uvch as directed and sure enough the passenger side had a dead hole. Git the truck into the shop and they fixed it all up and was running great. Ran great for a day now it idles ok and has almost no boost, 4th gear uphill with the pedal to the floor gets almost 5 psi. Before it would go up into the 20s. It also seems like it's not fueling at low rpm. When I go to let the clutch out at a stoplight or something i have to almost dump the clutch to keep it from stalling. On a slight hill I have to start in low and it'll barely get going. Once I get over 1200 or so rpm it picks right up but just sounds rough. Egts seem normal. Truck has a chip but it's on the stock setting, it has a 4inch turbo back exhaust. Otherwise it's all stock. I have 1 code for the ebpv malfunction. From what I have read guys are saying if the valve is stuck closed you can only get up to 35-40 mph, but I was able to cruise at 70-75 on flat ground. Any sort of hill and the truck falls on its face. On a hill I can normally pull at 70mph in 6th I was barely able to pull at 30mph in 3rd. I checked the uvch again and all is good there. Looking for some direction please. Fuel filter is new, oil and filter are topped off and have about 1000 miles on them. Tha ks fir any help

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
You can always just disconnect the power to it or wire it open to see if it is your problem

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning on wiring it open, i guess the words "taking it apart" were a bad choice lol. Am I on the right track at least with the ebpv? The whole almost stalling when trying to are off is getting frustrating

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
Most times the engine won't stall but have a serious lack of power along with possibly having a whoosing sound when you give it fuel

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Registered
821 Posts
Not a bad idea to look for boost leaks, too. They may have left something loose.

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Do you have gages? If the EBPV is closed one would have little power and very high exhaust temp, ET. If the exhaust temp is high that's likely a restriction. If ET is low and boost is low, no power, then possibly you have a big leak or the wastegate is stuck open.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I have boost and egt gauges. I took the turbo off and wired the ebpv open, I could jot for the life of me get my habd in there with the turbo on, anyways truck runs much smoother now and most of the power is back, boost is better but not what it once was. While I had the turbo off I noticed soot around where the up pipe flanges bolt on. Truck still just does not want to get going right off a start. Acts like I'm trying to start on the world's steepest hill and it gets choppy until about 1000-1200rpm then it clears up and takes off and no problems. Idk. I'm dropping it off at my buddy's shop tomorrow and have him deal with it. I have to get back to work lol. I'll report back what it is. Thanks everyone for all the help

· Premium Member
15,514 Posts
Check the exhaust all the way to the back. A crushed exhaust pipe will have the same effect as a closed EBPV. Also, does your manual truck have a catalytic converter? Would be a shame if it fell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
25,100 Posts
Also, does your manual truck have a catalytic converter?
FWIW, My 1/99 build manual tranny truck did not come with a cat from the factory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts