The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Newby here but Ive read tons of posts here and cant find anyone who has posted a similar problem. So here goes:

I bought a 1999 ext. Cab 4x4 f350 w auto trans and powerstroke motor today for just $1600.

The guy told me it has been sitting for 3 years and he was told the tranny starts sliping when it gets warm, but he never drove it because he didmt have the money for a new tranny.

I put new batteries in it and surprisingly it fired right up and idled perfectly. I xhecked the tranny fluid and noticed it wasnt even registering on the dip stick so I added two quarts of stop slip fluid and it topped it off.

I then tried to drive it home which was about 15 miles away. The truck ran and shifted flawlessly at first. As I was driving I noticed the odometer was broken and reads exactly 197000. The speedo worked fine.

At about mile 10, the tranny went out completely as I was going down the road at 60mph. I pulled over and was towed home where I parked the truck for a couple hours. I then started it back up and it once again went into gear and shifted fine in all gears including reverse. The overdrive button light was blinkning when it first went out but it reset and wasnt blinking after a couple hours of sitting.

Anyone have any ideas as to whats happening?

Thanks im advance for any help and input.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

You may already know a blinking OD button means that there are codes stored and it would be good to find out what those codes are.

Amazing deal for $1,600.

Did you add any fresh fuel?

Probably a good idea to change out your fuel filter right away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didnt mess with the fuel yet but will do. The blinking trans light stopped but I will attempt to get it read. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update....took the truck for another drive after sitting a couple hours. This time I barely made it a block before it lost all forward and reverse gears. Stopped for a minute, turned the truck off and then started it back up. The truck then went back into gear and I drove it back home and parked it. This time the overdrive light never blinked.

I honestly have no idea what is wrong but Im hoping its not needing a full tranny rebuild.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
That stop slip stuff is junk. You didn't do it any favors by adding that in.

If it has more than 200k miles on the trans their is a good chance it's toast.

What did you read the codes with? Not just any old scanner will work.

That fuel must be terrible. I would try and drain the tank and get fresh fuel in.

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
That stop slip stuff is junk. You didn't do it any favors by adding that in.
Exactly!

If it has more than 200k miles on the trans their is a good chance it's toast.
I know of many examples of these transmissions making more than half a million miles.

What did you read the codes with? Not just any old scanner will work.
True. There are codes, he just couldn't see them.

Oh....i also tried to read any codes, but none came up on the code reader.
See the line above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didnt know the stop slip was junk....live and learn I guess.

Tried reading the codes with a pocket scanner code reader...not the most expensive code reader but its what i have in my tool box.

The fuel has been handled.

The transmission is the problem.

I just dont know why it would drive and go into gear fine one second and then go out completely the next.

Obviously dont wanna pay for a entire rebuild but based on the lack of similar experiences and good tips on possible causes, it looks like Im gonna have to go the route of a new tranny....

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
One thing you can check is the clutch feed bolts. They are under the valve body. If they loosen they leak pressure and what you have can be the result.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Obviously dont wanna pay for a entire rebuild but based on the lack of similar experiences and good tips on possible causes, it looks like Im gonna have to go the route of a new tranny....

I am betting you will get more informed guidance if you can come back here with codes.

When you say your fuel is "handled" does that mean you changed the fuel filter? A guy on the van forum recently posted a picture of a fuel filter from his newly purchased 7.3 PSD and it was thrashed.

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
No, it cannot be ANY sensors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok....

My fuel and fuel filters have been changed.

Engine starts and runs perfect.

Truck will go into gear and shift fine until it gets warm. Then the truck will drop all fwd and reverse gears and go into a nuetral. If i turn off the truck for a minute and then turn it back on, it will go back into gear...but not for long before it drops all gears again. Tranny is full of fluid.

The od light was blinking the first time this happened, but is no longer blinking. I used my pocket scanner code reader to try to read any stored codes but none came up.

Based on what I have said, does it sound like Im gonna need to drop the tranny and build it or does it sound like sometging semi simple?

Also, what kind of code reader would i need to use to read any codes that my pocket scanner wont read?

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
Based on what I have said, does it sound like Im gonna need to drop the tranny and build it or does it sound like sometging semi simple?
You could try this:

One thing you can check is the clutch feed bolts. They are under the valve body. If they loosen they leak pressure and what you have can be the result.
Or you could rebuild the trans. These bolts should be torqued during a rebuild.

Also, what kind of code reader would i need to use to read any codes that my pocket scanner wont read?
You need one that has Ford specific software. I don't have a specific recommendation for you. I used to use a Ford NGS, I sold it for $1500 a few years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts