The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have about 1000 miles on my new Carli 2.5" commuter level kit. I opted for the full rear Deaver spring pack for a softer ride as well as their steering stabilizer and carrier bearing drop bracket (stacked plates).
I now have about 1000 miles on the new suspension and I must say, it is soft. I have owned several F350's over the past 20 years and really like how well they handle a load. This is my first "personal" family truck (I have dedicated work trucks), so wanted a nicer ride. I'm a little disappointed with the load carrying capabilities with the Deaver pack. IMO, the Carli springs and full Deaver spring pack are just too soft for anybody wanting to haul ANYTHING. Very soft (mushy) in the corners even empty (running the fox monotubes, valved for the deaver pack). Recently hauled my 21' Nautique with gear (maybe 4000lbs) to Shasta (1000 mile round trip). The ass of the truck sagged like I had a mini excavator and 2000lbs in the bed. I'm going to add firestone airbags and see how that goes.
Anybody have similar reports?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I have only had my setup for a few weeks but I am really happy with it so far. I did not do the full leafs though. I just have the progressive add-a-packs. I have not noticed sagging while towing my 22' Pathfinder or an 18' flatbed full of treated lumber. From what I read on another forum the add-a-packs are better if you are going to be towing. I really like the Fox 2.0's that came with the kit but have never run the monotubes. I am considering their (Carli) steering stabilizer. Did you notice a difference over the stock?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get the carli bags or the daystar cradles for the firestones. If you do the standard install it's kill your ride.

Brett

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ride is better then stock, but I'd have a hard time saying its $3500 better. As far as bags.........Firestone states in bold print NOT to use the daystar cradles with their bags, and must have a minimum of a 4" lift for the Carli bags. I need to get something ordered up and considering just going with the Firestone and cradles. I don't plan on running the baha 1000 with this truck, so probably not an issue. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI, just returned from a Early Bronco event Home - Northwest Bronco Roundup My bronco and trailer weighed in at 6600lbs. My Front axle was 5400 and rear axle was 5000 (assuming about 1000lbs tongue weight. Sags horribly even with these light loads. So for those of you considering the same kit, bags are a must!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out air ride bags then. If I ever get my bags back in service since I did my lift I'll be using the daystar cradles. Done know how it would hurt the firestones though. Have you called carli and talked to them?

Brett

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in June of ‘15 which put a lot of things on hold. Things are looking up now so I’m getting back on track. I just purchased a new camper and need to decide what to do with this kit that was recommended by 8 lug truck gear. I have added the firestone airbags to compensate for the loss of spring weight with the deavers. That was a huge improvement when pulling my heavy trailers, but I’m sure I will need to do something different to support my 4000lb camper. (Yes, I will be over weight and don’t need lectured:). Im curious if anybody has added the factory overload spring to a deaver pack? I’m considering trying this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts