The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my cat and I can not be sure about mpg improvement. I removed it and took mt 5th wheel on vacation. I could feel the better response but my mpg were not what I had expected. I put it back on to see if there was a change. Yes when you run a yellow light the truck took to long to respond. The turbo lag is not good. I think I got 2mpg better with it on. That may be me the new found power was nice to feel it.
Will removing the cat improve or reduce MPG?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Since removing my CAT I have seen no improvement or decrease in MPG. It hasn't changed a bit. But I did notice a difference in the turbo spooling up quicker and it pulls my camper better.

For what it's worth, by monitoring the exhaust back pressure with my Scangauge II, with the CAT installed at WOT the sensor said there was 50psi of exhaust back pressure. With the CAT removed at WOT only dropped to 47psi. This doesn't sound like much, but it does prove that the CAT is restricting the exhaust and removing it does make things flow better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK Everyone proved it to me my cat will go back on this week! I guess the feel was too much for my foot to resist. I was looking at a new exhaust with a down pipe replacement. Will this help my mpg or will it stay the same?

·
Registered
136 Posts
IMO once you added the leveling kit and 33/13.5/18's you shouldn't worry about MPG....That's your problem,going back to stock tires will help....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tires did lower the mpg but when Ford re flashed my truck it lost 4 mpg. When I pull my 5th wheel I get 8 mpg I was hoping to get it up to 10 that would be where I want to be. The tires are the best thing I have ever done! You should see my wife getting in and out of the truck. :nono: The truck in the snow is outstanding. In the mud better that anything I have ever driven. The ride is wonderful. The tire noise? Loud but I have bad hearing.:no:
Everything for the Powerstrokes like cold air intakes, programmers and exhaust systems advertise they save mpg. I am willing to spend the extra money to get more mpg and I also am going to install an extra fuel tank in the bed. I need a better driving range now 260 miles per tank is not very good. When my tires ware out I will get tires a little narrow. Or trade the truck in for a new one after we get back from Alaska.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've tried all sorts of thing to get better mileage out of my trucks including removing the CAT and then trying a 5" turbo back. I didn't get any noticable amount more. I put a functional ram air hood with a cold air intake on my 04 and that made more of a difference than anything else I've done. I run 36 15.50 Muds towing a 36' 5'er and a 16' cargo trailer behind that on my 04 and get 12 mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts