The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1999 F-350 7.3 CCDRW 510,000 miles. Intake, CTS tuner.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home from work, saw wires hanging below the truck. Crawled under and a cat has destroyed some wires and plugs that sit on the driver’s side of the transmission. They also chewed through the front passenger side ABS wire.

Truck started. ABS light was on. Truck wouldn’t shift from park. Overdrive light on the shifter was also flashing.

Just drove it yesterday and it had no issues.

My question is if there is a separate harness for the transmission that I can replace rather than just trying to splice it all back together?
Bedrock Tints and shades Road surface Pattern Rock

Automotive tire Safety glove Gas Automotive lighting Auto part

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe an obvious question but how do you know it was a cat? I'm asking because a while ago I thought in one of my ford rangers a cat was chewing cables when in turned out to be various rats that had nested. At the end the issue was waaay bigger than I anticipated since there were many of them and can sneak into practically everywhere easily

·
Super Moderator
10,131 Posts
I agree, cats don't normally chew on wires. That is usually the job of a rodent such as a rat, mouse, squirrel, or something else in that family. They have to chew on something since their incisors or front teeth constantly grow and they will chew on these type of things to wear them down.

The cat may of been under the vehicle trying to find a quick lunch.

·
Administrator
27,495 Posts
Need more cats as prevention. ;)

·
Registered
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 Auto CC LB 7.3 3.73 axles 4” exhaust
130 Posts
Had a weasel outback a while ago, he got caught in the 5 gallon pail mousetrap and died. It was a sad Day to kill the mouse predator, I wonder if they can take out a rat? Would like any Cat at predator at present or Rat Terrier Dog. I have seen a Rat terrier kill mice in seconds at my place, a friend brought the terrier out, I was amazed how fast he caught the mice. Happy hunting for the Rodents 🚀

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,588 Posts
This spring was the first time that, after all these years, my '99 F250 PSD had a squirrel infestation in the engine compartment. I'm having very good success using a product called "Bonide Hot Pepper Wax Animal Repellant" to stop this. It's just a spray that I coat all the wiring with and I've seen no more evidence of rodent activity.

·
Administrator
27,495 Posts
I'm having very good success using a product called "Bonide Hot Pepper Wax Animal Repellant" to stop this.
You have to watch out for those squirrels that are into spicy food, though. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Came home from work, saw wires hanging below the truck. Crawled under and a cat has destroyed some wires and plugs that sit on the driver’s side of the transmission. They also chewed through the front passenger side ABS wire.

Truck started. ABS light was on. Truck wouldn’t shift from park. Overdrive light on the shifter was also flashing.

My question is if there is a separate harness for the transmission that I can replace rather than just trying to splice it all back together? View attachment 186900
View attachment 186898
View attachment 186899
Not at

My question is if there is a separate harness for the transmission that I can replace rather than just trying to splice it all back together? View attachment 186900
View attachment 186898
View attachment 186899
HIGHLY unlikely it was a cat. More likely a rodent, like a mouse, rat, or squirrel. It got particularly bad when manufacturers began using soy for insulation of the wires.

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,588 Posts
Does it leave a waxy film?
I've not seen any noticeable residue. I've been using it once every couple of months on my truck and the wife's car since early summer. I just recently started using it on a trailer queen that I have that I discovered with slight squirrel damage (plug wires) but lots of nut residue.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
My truck smells like peppermint candy from Oct to March, I look under the hood daily. Many of my neighbors park open their hoods 4 to 6" in fall and winter nights. Critters want the engine heat but won't build an exposed nest that a cat can get to easy.

8,786 Posts
I had one customer put that Critter Ridder stuff ( It’s Capsicum , the stuff cops spray you with before they give you wood shampoo, put in granulars. in his engine valley. He did not tell me that. I am up on the Top Side Creeper. I tell him to start it. The fan blows the stuff into my eyes. I go blind. I fall to the asphalt. It took him like 5 minutes to find the garden hoses to wash my eyes out.

·
Registered
1999 F-350 7.3 CCDRW 510,000 miles. Intake, CTS tuner.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No trees near our house, so probably not squirrels. No rats. Only think I can think of is maybe a piece of black tape at the tail end was waving around in the wind, and they took things from there.

I did find another harness. Got it switched out, but now the gear shift is incredibly hard to shift from park. Taillights work. Switched out the interlock shift solenoid and that didn’t fix the issue. OD light flashes as well now.

Also when it starts it acts like it’s going to go into high idle, and then drops drops down to around 700rpm.

Any thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts