The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 7.3 E 450. Once engine reaches 22-2300 rpm's to starts bellowing smoke and starts losing power. Once pedal reaches floor it takes off to WOT and smokes clears up somewhat. Any ideas? Don't want to through money at it. Has 178k miles on it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been experiencing similar problems: 2000 FORD F-350 SUPERDUTY, POWERSTROKE 7.3L DIESEL-2 WD
Truck shut down on me outside of town, parked it tried to diagnose it myself and 1 1/2yrs. later after going thru the whole damn engine block, testing every damn thing and found a IDM(Injector Driver Module) up inside bra area of drivers side wheel well. Pulled the IDM harness and tested it GB Remanufacturing, Inc. did the 3 tests from the diagram, the IDM passed all three tests, I pulled valve covers and was not getting any fuel to my injectors both banks. I found a reputable company out of Davie, Florida-Auto Computer Exchange.com (also on Ebay, bid yur price and talk to Richard) I got mine for $95.00 free shipping. We had -40 below wind chill in 2014 here in Ohio and truck was running poorly at idle (NO diesel fuel gelling at all). After talking to Richard @ Auto Exchange, he informed me that a diode could have went bad(IDM). I took a chance bid on the Refurbished IDM, got the thing in the mail like 3 days later, installed it, plugged it in and the Diesel started right up. Ran really smooth. When I started it up however, I noticed that my Bendix drive was still engaged into my flywheel and had to shut the truck back down. Since September 2015, the month I installed the refurbished IDM, I am still having problems with the Bendix drive staying engaged into my flywheel. I have replaced and tried one 4kilowatt, higher torque starter and still, same problem. I installed a Autozone OEM starter, still Bendix is hanging up into the flywheel. It would have this problem if the truck sat for like a day without starting it and it would be extremely hard starting I wanted to mention too. Almost as if it wasn't getting fuel again. A few weeks, getting in trying to start it sometimes the Bendix would be ok then, intermitantely it would happen off and on when I got in to start the truck. I crawled underneath the truck again, and looked closely at the solenoid wire(red smaller 8-10gauge wire) running to the starter solenoid and up to the firewall solenoid relay. The wire is covered and protected by the plastic casing and enclosed with the battery terminal Positive(+) to the passenger side battery. I have a dual-battery and dual alternator setup. Made sure the positive cable and the solenoid cable to the starter were tight. Decided to replace the firewall solenoid relay(all C&W had in my area was an aftermarket solenoid relay, $20) Replaced it, and started the truck back up. I usually don't have a problem starting the diesel truck when it has just been warmed up and it was like a 60 degree day when I changed the relay. I ran the truck for 3 days making short trips. The Bendix did not stay engaged for three days. The fourth day, I took it to my local Walmart, pouring down rain and decided to replace the rotted wiper blades on the truck. I went out to drive the truck in for the wiper replacement and the Bendix drive in the starter would not release again. I dunno wth is causing this but, it is really nerve racking...that and trying to get it started even when I've plugged the glow plug cord in overnight. I noticed it is blowing really heavy blue smoke, not real black and kinda clear but, it is really a cloud when I do finally get it started again then, let it idle a good 30min. and No smoke at all. The truck only has 107, 470 original miles on it. Replaced IPR Valve, Glow Plugs, dropped tank did a hutch-mod and harpooned the tank. New Fuel pump, cleaned out fuel filter housing and new fuel filter, changed Oil filter and Oil to T6 Synthetic Motor Oil which is a 5w 40 oil? Could this be causing the smoking issue? Truck really runs a lot better and noticed more power with this oil. It was suggested by an Autozone salesperson but, I'm really wondering if I should have used this in my powerstroke 7.3L diesel truck? Is synthetic oil hard on the Injectors, anyone know? Flushed entire coolant system 2 yrs. ago and went to an extended-life coolant(500,00mile coolant), deleting the conditioner treatment all together. Replaced serpentine belt. I have noticed that when I shut truck down, it appears the timing might be off a bit but, I don't know if any of you guys have a little delay when turning off the key in your diesel trucks as well. Its def. not like the standard unleaded truck when u turn key off, it shuts off. It doesn't stay running(dieseling) there is just a little hesitate before it shuts down when you turn the key off. I noticed even on warm days 50-60 degrees, the truck will not start up right away, unless I crank the **** outta it so, that kinda rules out the glow plug plug-in unit. Could this refurbished IDM be a problem? It was programmed to my Vin # but, it could be failing again. I have two new Interstate Megatron batteries, two new alternators and a new CPS from Ford dealership. Damn these trucks really nickle-and dime the **** outta ya! Ford Built Lemons. This truck has more down time than it has had Work Time. I've investigated the clutch switch on the rod under the dash, and everything is intact. No breaks in plastic anywhere but, have played around with the switch pulling it back and forth on the rod and it appears sometimes the truck would start after that but, that is after several 6-10x cranking. It starts off when cranking it, not even tries to turn over until you've cranked it a good 7-10x's and finally it tries to turn over. Anyone have any ideas and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'm stumped....Ford bought Lemon...I'm tired of playin' this trucks games...:(

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Dreinhart,

Sorry to hear you have so much trouble with your truck.

The Rotella T6 Synthetic is great engine oil for the 7.3 PSD. The AZ Salesperson really steered you right with that advice.

BTW, which "glow plug plug-in unit are you describing? The 120v plug-in is actually for the block heater and not wired directly to the glowplugs but like you said, if its 50-60 degrees out then that shouldn't be an issue.

Wecome to the forum. These guys will get your truck sorted out. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts