The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my truck has 102k on her and I have not done a CCV mod, should I be concerned?

· Registered
665 Posts
The CCV mod started out as a way to keep the engine compartment clean.
Leaky boots make a BIG mess.
If you are happy with the way it looks, or can keep it clean, I would not worry about it.
I did mine in 2001 and this is what it looks like today!

· Banned
5,960 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If you are happy with the way it looks, or can keep it clean, I would not worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That engine is so beautiful I want to cry.
Remove that foil wrap from the HOT IC pipe and shine 'er up, maybe have 'em powder coated, you've got showroom material.

· Registered
243 Posts
RLANKIN,

What's the guage for next to your cover in your picture?
Just wondering.

Any other reason to do the CCV mod besides cleanliness?
What do I plug up the hole with once I unplug the CCV tube from the intake hose? Where do I reroute my hose that I attach to the CCV?

· Registered
2,740 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief. I don't even have my engine assembled yet and it is already dirtier than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif

· Registered
6,005 Posts
You don't have to plug the return air port if you use a CCV Mod that does not alter the factory flow of air. I have made lots of these for other forum members and have never had a complaint. PM me for more info.

· Registered
665 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

What's the guage for next to your cover in your picture?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pressure gauge for the regulator mod.

[ QUOTE ]

Any other reason to do the CCV mod besides cleanliness?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not im my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

What do I plug up the hole with once I unplug the CCV tube from the intake hose?

[/ QUOTE ]
Some use a rubber 3/4" heater plug. But ONLY do it temporarily if you do.
When I did my home made Tymar, I put a section of 4" exhaust inplace of the factory coupler, and was shocked when I saw this! So don't make it permenant.

[ QUOTE ]

Where do I reroute my hose that I attach to the CCV?

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to rotate the little dog house on top of the valve cover, and use a 3/4" coupler with a long length of 3/4" heater hose. Run it along the frame rail preventing any low spots.
I made a scrubber out of a plastic 1" EMT junction box, stuffed it with 000 steel wool, and bolted to the frame rail just under the passenger door.
I pull the plug on the bottom twice a year to drain, but very little comes out.

· Registered
120 Posts
when i did my CCV mod, it was because i kept blowing off the Intercooler boots. after one blew off, i found tons of oil in there i knew i shouldnt have seen on a normal truck without a CCV. so, i did like everyone else, and did the CCV into the exhaust. it pulls the vapors out, and it shoots the mist out with the exhaust where it's more appropriate to see a mist or smoke. i hated having the cloud come out from under my truck, thats why i routed it in the exhaust. i replaced the black plastic connector with a 4" piece of 4" diameter exhaust piping, but before that i cut off the scoop inside,and plugged the bottom hole. mine was very simple, just turn the 90* rubber connector, and clamp or superglue a 1" OD 1/2" ID hose up in there. works great for me, no more popped boots!

· Registered
1,865 Posts
There are pics of my CCV mod in my sig under Performance Mods, on the 2nd page. Just to give you more pics to look at for ideas.

I don't have any collector or vent or anything. I figure with the hose going up over the brake master cylinder that any oil that comes out will drain back down into the engine. If I notice any oil collecting in low spots in the hose (used clear hose so I could always tell if it was plugged or something) then I'll install a T in that spot with a plug on the bottom to drain when necessary.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for all the great info!
If I decide to do this mod, how should I go about cleaning everything?

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Some folks take the intercooler pipes and intercooler itself and clean it all out thoroughly. I just cleaned the hot side pipe since I had it out to remove the foil, and cleaned up both boots. Simple Green works well for cleaning them.

· Registered
50 Posts
I was getting ready to do this and was planning to route the CCV in the exhaust, then I realized that if you put it into the exhaust all you are going do is pressurize the engine, and I didn't want to do that. I'm not saying its gonna kill the engine, people have been running this for a long time with no ill effects from what I can see, but its basic fluid mechanics, ya need a higher pressure then ambient to push a fluid through a tube. Maybe I'm missing something on the internal pressure of a diesel engine, or people are putting on some sort of venturi in the exhaust, if so feel free to educate me. It's a clean set up going into the exhaust, I just don’t like the fact it pressurizes the engine.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for that, and please don't, we’ve have a good post going here.

Dave

· Banned
5,960 Posts
You have a point Hockeydude, however I think the effects of pressurizing the engine are negligible. It is not like the exhaust is a sealed system. The tailpipe outlet is many times larger than the bung you put in. If you did start to pressurize the tube on a hard run, the effects of it would cease when you let off.

Diesels have enough blowby at idle to keep things flowing in the right direction. I personally don't think it's too much of a concern.

· Registered
665 Posts
You tie into the exhaust at an angle, I believe somewhere around 30 degrees. Someone will chime in and verify it.
The angle actually creates a slight vacume.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.