The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling onto a State Hwy and accelerating a little aggressively to stay ahead of distant but oncoming traffic because I had a moderate load in my 28 foot goose-neck trailer.

Once I got up to speed (55/60 mph) Suddenly the CEL came on and I lost major power. I could barely manage 50 MPH.

I pulled off the HWY at the next available spot and shut off the engine. It started right back up and drove like nothing had happened at all.

Took it to my mechanic and he pulled a Turbo Low Boost code.

I then saw the air restriction gauge was showing almost 1/2 inch of yellow. However I had checked my air filter just a few weeks earlier and even blew it out with my air compressor.

I pulled the air filter out - and found a small Mud-Dobber wasp nest "loose" inside the bottom of the air filter compartment.

Apparently - it had broken free from the place where it had been made by the wasps and covered the "hole" in the bottom of the air filter compartment.

Does anyone know exactly what this "hole and rubber tube" do for the air filter compartment?
Is it a pressure release? Or maybe for "junk" (leafs / bugs / etc) to "fall" out when sucked into the compartment.

Here are pics of this "tube: and the hole that got "temporarily" plugged.

Here is the hole inside the air filter compartment where the Mud-Dobber nest "temporarily" plugged it until I shut the engine off. Then it must have moved away from the hole when I restarted.

Here is the rubber tube connected to the "hole".

Here is the end if the tube - it has a "split" in the flattened end.

Can this "hole" being "plugged" cause such power loss - Low Turbo Boost problems?
Or do I have some other MAJOR issue about to surface?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No.
That's just a junk/water drain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts