The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both myself and other folks in this forum have said something of adult nature mostlikly. I don't want to point fingers for the sake of looking not to bad.
Since I post here I think that if we just got an over view on this subject initally since their are appear to be more people posting here than in the "other" section.

1. Do you have kids that take an active interest in these posts?
Of the 2203 members, how many are minors?
Are there kids that read these w/ their parents?

2. Should the administrators censor our posts? Eliminating what the feel might not be proper?

3. Should we be self-censoring for the sake of being PC and less offensive?
Taking into consideration we don't post to be offensive in the first place.
This will probably be moved but I want as much insight as possible.

------------------
Dr.Jones. Yeah!
My wife is finally back from her 10 month internship. I'm still a smart ass and irritator of many. Waiting to verify 2000 orders. PSD CC a/c 6spd vinyl floors, split bench. Ordering Dr.Performance 300 hp kit, 6 in lift and 39x15/16.5 Superswampers. 4.27 gears w/ Detroit locker.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am a guest on Jason's site. If you want to create your own site with its own rules, go for it!

------------------
1999 F-350 PSD, Auto, lwb, srw, CC, 4wd, lariat, Rhino liner, Reese 5th & Gooseneck hitch, Banks Powerpack

·
Registered
141 Posts
You have been whining about this "censoring" for months in many of your arrogant posts. If you do not like the rules of participation with this wonderful webpage, then go find another one.

------------------
99.5 F-250,XLT,CC,SWB, 2wd, 6-speed, white, CD, tow pkg, many extras

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I use several forums/newsgroups on a daily basis for both personal pleasure and for my work. On some of these forums/newsgroups a large number of the posts have nothing to do with the topic and are nothing more than flames. When I use these systems, I am after information and don't care to waste my time with the flame wars. I LIKE the fact that Jason has rules and enforces them. Keep it up Jason, and thanks for the forum.

------------------
Mike Hardin,
99.5 F250, SC,PSD, XLT, White, Born on 1/99

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you find it difficult to express yourself using vocabulary and attitudes appropriate for any and all possible readers then I suggest forming your own site.

I have always been insulted by guys who think nothing of using rough language in front of me and then appologize for it if a woman or children are present. Why would I want to listen to it anymore than my wife or kids.

In my opinion it betrays limited communication abilities. It is also my opinion that what is commonly termed adult language would much more appropriately be termed sophmoric language. Such communication correlates to the immaturity associated with Jr high not adulthood.

Setting the bar high is difficult and policing other peoples conversations is not plesant. I want Jason to know that I recognize that he has chossen the more difficult path and that I very much apprecitate his efforts and the results.

Kevin

------------------
F250 CC LB 4x4 Lariet White and Tan
Name: "Clyde" (Clydesdale)
PSD Auto 3.73LS built March '98
15000# Gooseneck Cargo Trailer

[This message has been edited by kbouwman (edited 07-22-1999).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with most of the people here. Your complaints about the “Censorship” say more about you than those who run the sight.
It is their house, you are not entitled to the rights of free speech on PRIVATE property. I see many, many people (Mostly kids) make the same complaints that you are making, they want what someone else created through hard work, but they want it THEIR way. There is a word for this when referring to children “Spoiled”. There is no language that you could use that would offend me, but it is not my sight and I will abide by the FAIR rules laid out by the OWNER of this site. Take your ball and go home if you have a problem with not using obscene language in your posts. Is it that important to you?? Why?? Do you think it will make the world a better place if you can use the “F” word? I come here for the information, I already know how not to talk in front of Ladies, Children and Popes.

Kmart Shopper

------------------
Clean up on Isle 15!!!

[This message has been edited by Kmart Shopper (edited 07-22-1999).]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Start your own site. I don't agree with everything Jason does but I don't own the site either. He can do whatever he wants. There are adults who DO take offense when people are cussing in their posts all the time. It gets old and it's immature.

Jack

·
Registered
357 Posts
While searching a place for information on my PowerStroke I happened to surf into "Jason's" PSD page. I was welcomed in with the ONLY rule being that I post with the understanding that this was and is Jason's page and he and his administrators would make and enforce the rules. If I could live with these rules I was welcome if I couldn't I could freely go to another messege board. This sounds like a VERY FAIR plan to me. In real terms there really aren't very many rules here, Jason asks that we respect the fact that we all have opinions and that we should not flame each other in a disrespectful way. Foul Language has no place in any public forum! Recently Jason and his adminstrators have KINDLY asked us to post by topic, is that a rule? I don't think so it's was merely a request to improve the sites efficiency. The bottom line is, this Jason's site, he created it, he funded it initially and still does with help from some of us, he continues to run THE BEST PSD site on the web and he ALLOWS us to join in to discuss the magic of the PowerStroke. If any of us including myself are not happy with this site we have the ability to go elsewhere. Living by someone elses rules is what we all do everyday in everything we do. Should we question a rule if we don't agree YES. Should we ignor or disobey a rule because we don't agree with it NO. I'm old enough to know that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Jason runs a great board so leave it alone. Ken

------------------
Ken Hatch, 1997, F350, E40D, 4x4, 4.10LS, Hunter Green, PSD, Rancho 9000's, Trans Temp gauge(Isspro), EGT Guage(Isspro), Boost Gauge(Isspro), 3 Guage dashboard console, 5th wheel Hitch, Reese Titan V hitch, Steel Horse cab shelf, Cherokee CM10 CB, Lance 1020 Slide-in, Air Lift suspension, Lear Crown Cap, Extang bed cover, Rhino Liner & Stainless bed rails.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I just have to put my 2 and a half cents in. I've been a sailor for over 19 years now and have heard more cussing in conversations than I care to remember and after a while it gets old. I really appreciate being able to log on here and get answers to questions and info on items I don't know enough about to ask decent questions. I also like the fact that it's a fairly "clean" site. I have not a clue as to how much effort Jason and the others put into this place but they are doing an outstanding job. If you can't handle cleaning up your posts then as far as I'm concerned Jason has the right to delete or censor them. Bring on the PowerStroke posts and quit whining....Earl (that might have been 3 cents worth)

------------------
Earl Sineath
'99 F-350XLT,2WD,DRW,SC,4spd Auto
Tow Package, Line-X Bedliner
Deep Wedgewood Blue W/Leer Canopy

[This message has been edited by Dually4Me (edited 07-22-1999).]

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
From a censoring standpoint, what exactly is your question powerlifter405? If it is in regards to language, why would anyone want to type out foul language anyways? If it is in regards to censoring or altering what we all post in our replys/new topics, the administrators periodically scan through all posts. What you type is immediatly posted, then scanned through later.

I guess I can't imagine what part of context in a post would be censored if all we discuss here is truck related topics, so what is the big gripe anyway?

Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think most of us would agree that the use of foul language (we all know what that language is) is generally undesirable in most communication norms. The use of foul language might be a little more "uxcusable" in the verbal medium (it sometimes slips out). However, the use of such language with respect to the nature of this site is totally unacceptable. We are simply talkin about trucks and we type out all of our thoughts, questions, and answers and have a chance to review and edit these messages. Anyones posts that repeatedly have bad language says alot about the character of that person in general. Administrators keep up the GOOD work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Adult" language is typically used in a negative way and my opinion is that Jason wants "his" site to reflect a positive place where people can become better informed. Is Jason asking too much? I don't think so. I look forward to reading posts on this site and I enjoy the people who employee humor as part of their post. If Jason wanted to say no humor please then that is his right as owner of this site and I would abide by that and not choose to battle him over something that isn't the goal of his site. If you have a beef with Jason over this site email him. Of course this is only my opinion which I have managed to state without the use of "adult language".

------------------
99.5 CC AUTO SWB 3.73 LARIAT White

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess his major gripe is the same as all the liberals in this country. He doesn’t care how much work someone put into something, how innovative it is, and the fact that he through hard work could create what he wants if he tried and worked at it. All he knows is he is here now and everything should change to suit HIM! End of sentence, this is AMERICA and he has the right to have whatever he wants!!

Well, I hope in this case this sight stays just as it is, I do not own a SD PSD, I am going to buy a SD V-10, but I still come here to learn about the SD and even about the Diesel. If swearing is your thing, I know plenty of sites that have that!!!!

Sorry, but this kind of stuff really gets in my craw.

-Kmart Shopper

------------------
Clean up on Isle 15!!!

[This message has been edited by Kmart Shopper (edited 07-22-1999).]

G

·
0 Posts
Aside from the great information that's available on this forum one of the things I've appreciated about it is the way in which it is managed - responsibly and respectfully. It's encouraging to see the responses that have been posted to this thread. Thanks to Jason and all the rest of you sensible (and truly adult as opposed to juvenile-minded) folks I'm sure this web page will be around for quite awhile. Thanks for letting me visit your house.

------------------
99.5 XLT, PSD, SC, 4x2, Auto, Lt. Prairie Tan, Line-X bedliner.

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow ... not a single comment in favor of allowing profanity !!!

And this person doesn't think it needs to be here either.

------------------
Glenn Smith
99.5 F-250XLT,4WD,RC,Auto, 3.73 LS
Deep Wedgewood Blue W/Blue Denim Interior

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Howdy!

I'm glad to see so much support for Jason and the site -- I think he's got a good thing going here.

I'm going to stick with practice here and move this to the more applicable, Ford-Diesel.com forum. Please don't stop the discussion on account of the move as it's probably good for us all to flesh out what we feel.

However, please keep the topic on track. By that I mean, let's not let it deteriorate into "name calling."

Outside of that....have fun....

Best Regards,
Jay
-------------------------
Ford-Diesel.com Moderator

·
Registered
194 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the majority here. I always think of how ignorant it makes people sound when they swear/cuss in public. I'm not offended but I just think of the person(s) as ignorant. It's one thing to swear after you smash your thumb with a hammer, we've all been there, but when you swear in the checkout isle at the grocery store it is just unneccessary and shows complete ignorance. This forum should be no different, regardless of the fact that it was created by and belongs to some private person.

Don't forget that Jason could destroy every trace of this site with one simple ('rm -rf *' comes to mind) command and there wouldn't be a darn thing we could do about it.
Powerlifter???, think about that the next time you have an urgent question concerning your PSD but you can't get an answer because Ford-Diesel.com is no longer available.

-ben

------------------
99.5 F250 PSD SC SWB 6sp 4x4 XLT
born 12/08/98

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm amazed by the time and effort that most of the members and administrators put in to help out those less knowledgeable or experienced with their vehicles.

Is it possible we can remember why we log on to this forum and park our ego's at the door, EVERY TIME we log on? Probably not.

Messages and responses need to be posted and read with an overiding thought that we are here to help one another and not make someone else feel inadeqate.

We were all brought up in completely different circumstances, and what is typed is not what is sometimes read.

We have to remember that slang (for want of a better term), is usually thought of as some kind of attack.

In the forum I usually subscribe to, 99 PSD's, most of us are PSD owners. Somehow, at some point in our lives, each of us had an overwhelming desire to buy/lease/steal (you A plan owners I'm referring to) a PSD.

Let's keep the language in check and remember we were all AMAZINGLY smart the day we took delivery of our Ford!

------------------
99.5,PSD,Lariat,white, CC,DRW,LWB,Auto,4.10LS Manual,4x4,Hypermax,Transcommand,A pillar Gauges,Gear Vendor Overdrive,Velvet Rides,snugtop,bedrug

[This message has been edited by Fast Forward (edited 07-22-1999).]

·
Registered
164 Posts
powerlifter,

It's pretty clear that the members and Jason have a particular type of site in mind. This site comes with a set of rules. You will need to decide if this site, and its rules, are for you. If it is, great. If not, I will wish you well and suggest it is time to go your own way. You decide. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts