The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s the write up of another mod I did this summer – installing a van console in place of the front center seat. While looking at trucks before I bought my 2015, I noticed that the consoles installed in these tucks didn’t have very much storage room. I also didn’t like the way they ran completely forward to meet the dash. When I ordered my 2001 F-350, I ordered the high back bucket seats with nothing mounted in between them. After delivery, I installed a full size van console in between the seats, so I looked at how the front seats on the 2015’s were mounted and saw that the center or “20” section could be removed without affecting the driver and passenger seats. While I liked the armrest feature of the center seat when the back was folded down, my right knee was always banging into the top of the seatback. Storage under this seat is pretty limited, and not much more than what is in the seatback under the lid. Since this seat looks to be usable only if you’re 12” wide and 3 foot tall, I decided to replace it. Below are three pictures of the new console after installation.

The console is made by Wolf Automotive, and was purchased through American Van Equipment. It’s available in three colors and this tan version matches my interior pretty close. It’ll swallow nine 2 liter bottles standing upright, and with a little interior re-working, there’s usable space from the front to the back. The install in my 2001 was dirt simple since the floor between the seats was flat, the 2015 version proved to be a lot more involved. After removing the center seat, I discovered that the front mounting studs are welded to the cab floor, and the Airbag and Data Recorder module is mounted to a welded in bracket under the center seat. The module sticks up around three inches, so I needed to make a base for the console to provide a flat surface for mounting it. I used some threaded stand-offs screwed onto the front studs, and ran a couple of bolts up through the floor of the cab to mount another pair of threaded stand-offs. After adjusting the height of the stand-offs so that the tops were even with the top of the Airbag and Data Recorder module, I locked them in place using jam nuts to hold them at the right height. I fabricated a steel base out of some sheet steel, and drilled a clearance hole in each corner to line up with the stand-offs. Hex head bolts and fender washers inserted from inside the console, and threaded into the stand-offs completed the installation. After a couple of 400 mile road trips to see how it all worked, I deem it a total success. The top of the console is padded and makes a perfect armrest, and my right knee no longer fights with the seatback while I drive with the cruise control on. Best of all, there’s a ton of storage for items that are within reach while I’m driving.
 

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top