The Diesel Stop banner

Centrifuge/Pump Questions

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Super10brss 
Since the centrifuge has a motor to drive it, then you could probably just gravity feed the waste oil into it.

It is more cost effective to run a pressure driven centrifuge with pneumatic pumping. pneumatic pumping is accomplished by putting your waste oil into a pressure tank that can handle the operating pressures of the centrifuge, which are typically 100 PSI. An old compressor tank or propane tank will work fine for this. Just use a pressure regulator on an air compressor to pressurize the waste oil tank to 100 PSI, then open a valve at the bottom of the tank to move the oil through the centrifuge. That is it. A compressor is a lot cheaper than a gear pump, and even a small air compressor will meet your needs in this application.

I dont agree with Jeff on that one....

TO properly centerfuge your oil you need to do MULTI-PASS centerfuging....it is not practical to multi-pass the oil with a an air compressor tank.
tweener is correct, if you are depending upon multiple passes through your centrifuge to clean up your waste oil, then pneumatic pumping is not for your process. However, blending first, then settling for at least an hour to 24 hours, then draining off the sludge, will mean that a single pass through the centrifuge is all that should be needed to clean up waste oil, so, in the case of blending first, pneumatic pumping is a simple and inexpensive solution.

Jerry, I am not doing multiple passes through a filter. I see no reason for it, if you blend, then settle for 24 hours or more before draining the sludge off. And, I doubt seriously if multiple passes through a centrifuge is needed if you blend, then settle for 24 hours or more before draining the sludge off, before sending it through the centrifuge. But, why centrifuge, when they cost hundreds of dollars?

If you recall, Doug Miller was promoting an elaborate filtration system, which he offered for sale for several hundred dollars, and people have been waiting more than 3 months and still have not gotten his delux filtration system. When they could have just blended, then settle for 24 hours or more before draining the sludge off and ordered a 20" 1-micron bag filter and canister for $150 and would have been able to fuel their rigs for more than three months by now. So, let us not make it too complicated. My system is simple and inexpensive, and I am not getting a dime for my design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.