The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dealer LIED Certified Used vehicle Help

Ford Dealer made promises at sale. Bait and switch with warranty.

I just purchased a used 2015 F350 Dually. I was told it was a certified used truck but that it had not had the 172 point inspection completed. I took it in today to have this work done plus have the tires replaced (as I was told they would be if they didn't meet specs). After dropping it off early for its 9:00 appointment I returned at 4:00 pm to find it still dirty, no tires changes, still missing center wheel caps and none of the fender lights repaired. I also saw a paper on the dash that stated 21 point inspection completed.

I questioned all of this but was told the service advisor handling my truck had left for the day. I argued with a sales manager who finally agreed to pull the almost new tires off another dually and finally got it detailed.

What bothers me is that I don't have anything in my paperwork that states it is a certified.used vehicle. Although they showed me a packet with all the covered items, and then had me sign. They claim a copy should have been in there. I asked for a copy of the inspection sheet used fm during the 172 point inspection and again could not produce it.

How can I go about finding out if I was really sold a certified used vehicle and if I have the 100,000 additional mile warranty that I was promised with the certification? At this point I get the feeling I'm getting the run a round and about extremely disappointed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Call Ford, you may need to give it a bit to register but they'll know. All you need to do is give them the VIN. If it is certified by Ford there will be paperwork. Keep pressing the dealer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds like I'm getting screwed. Ford states I don't have warranty or road side service. Service advisor states the sales department told him to only perform a 21 point inspection. The certified pre owned paperwork I signed is not in my packettte. Instead a "we owe" is from a different salesman and has a date from August. This isn't going to end well.

Also stated, because previous owner had a aux fuel tank and put a "t" in the filler tank that it is not eligible for warranty.

BUYER BEWARE!

·
Registered
18 Posts
How many miles were on the truck when you bought it? You need to speak to a manager at the dealership, especially if you were lied to. Somebody always has a boss they answer to, so if your not getting help ask to speak to their manager.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The truck has 73,000 on the clock. Now before you say anything, The ONLY reason I considered it was because it was showroom and I was promised the 100,000 mile powertrain and 12/12 comprehensive. And the price was right. Warranty up to 173,000 miles was hard to pass up. Again, I asked the question of everyone I dealt with. "This is covered to 173,000 miles, right?" Everyone I spoke to said yes. Even the finance guy that was trying to sell me the extended warranty. I asked point blank why I would want an extended warranty if I had the CPO to 173,000. His sales pitch ended there.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It is not an additional 100,000 miles, it is up to 100,000 miles. So a certified preown is covered up to 7years/100k whichever occurs first.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/global/pdf/cpo/ford_program_brochure.pdf

You should not be signing paperwork if you do not understand the terms. And frankly trusting a salesman is not understanding the terms. A simple google search of "ford certified preown warranty" brought up the official Ford brochure that I just linked you to.

Not only Buyer beware but buyer research is also needed to cover your ass. Took me all of 15 seconds to get you that information.

• Ford cars, SUVs, crossovers and trucks (up to 350-Series) that are current or ve previous model years and have less than 80,000 miles can qualify
• 12-month/12,000-mile Comprehensive Limited Warranty Coverage
• 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty Coverage
• 172 points of inspection by certified mechanics
• Vehicle History Report
• 24-hour roadside assistance
• A full tank of fuel, fresh oil and lter, and new wiper blades at delivery
• Service available at any Ford or Lincoln Dealer in the 50 states and Canada

Reactions: Ricefarmer

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"every Ford Certified Pre-Owned vehicle also comes with 7-year/100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage (ask your dealer for warranty details)"

"Ask you dealer for details" is exactly what I did. Everyone of them explained it the same way. I still don't see how it makes it right. That statement is open to interpretation, which is what I asked for.

So, shame on me for believing them. This still doesn't fix the original problem regardless if it's 100,000 or 173,000. I understood everything they showed me. I read it and reviewed it to the point I'm sure I annoyed them. Just to find they omitted part of the paperwork I read, questioned and signed. Please, justify that.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
You need to get with the dealer principle who probably won't meet with you until you have met with the general manager. You need. Copy of that " We Owe" which is a real firm dealers use to put in the deal pack. It comes in three pieces do the customer can have a copy.
You talked to Ford. The certified warranty is thru their finance division FMC that handles financing and warranties. Just so you know but it can probably be worked out.
The dealer pays FMC a flat fee to give it a "certified" warranty.
Used truck comes in a the service department has one guy that just inspects vehicles for the used car department. He writes up a bill for how much it will take to get it thru inspection, be it State or " certified". He takes it to the used car manager who decides what he wants to do with the truck if anything at all. It could be wholesaled. He might think it's pretty and the estimate to get it thru " certification" and the $500 or whatever it is now still leaves him plenty of room to make a strong profit, he will because as you know it's a selling point. This all could be a miscommunication with the used car manager and hid mechanic in the service department.
Certified warranties are no extensions but are as Blwnsmoke described.
For most finance company, they are not going to " certify" a 77k mile vehicle. Cut offs are usually much lower but not sure. So I'm kinda surprised with this.p but guess 80k is the cut off.
WE OWE, you need a copy!
Be polite but firm. They are old hands at handling hot heads.
Good luck and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This isn't my first rodeo and can work through stuff like this with a level head. Polite yet stern. Unfortunately, the "We Owe" paperwork I signed and the "We Owe" paperwork I was given do not match. In fact, it's not even from my deal. As you can tell, there's obviously some shady business going on. I did receive a Certified Pre Owned Checklist via email today. But it was dated today. Again, the service guy told me himself he only did a 21 point inspection yesterday and it would not pass because it previously had an aftermarket fuel tank hooked up to the filler hose. So how can it be 172 point inspected today? We're going in circles.

Reading and understand (or misunderstanding something) is way different from having something presented to you and then having things switched behind your back. I was in the car business myself at one time and not naive to having things in writing. That's why I asked so many questions at the time of sale. What has happened to me is what gives car salesmen a bad name.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Not just sales people but entire dealerships. I wouldn't back off a single inch. I might be inclined to hint at other avenues for satisfaction.

It's probably no comfort at this point but I can assure you the same crap takes place in the rv industry, I'm employed in the service side and see it first hand.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
" Maryland dieselnick said:
Original post
That "We Owe" is a binding promissory note.
Not if he doesn't have a copy of it. How can he prove what he signed?"

Exactly! I've seen some shady stuff but never thought I had to watch him like a Magician doing a card trick.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a similar situation after buying my new 2016 F250 PSD.
I was given the packet of Documents when I picked up my Truck.
The next Day I noticed that the Retail Sales Agreement was missing.
This is the paper that shows the Negotiated price, all of the Discounts, Tax Title, ECT. I called my Salesman who promised to send it. After a week nothing was recieved. I then called the F&I Guy, who promised to email a copy, again nothing. Luckily this Ford Dealership was part of of a National Chain of Franchised Dealers. On a Sunday, I emailed their Corporate Headquarters who had a site for Customer Complaints.
The following Day at 9am I got a call from the Dealer's General Manager with an apology, who overnighted the paperwork. When I recieved it I realized why they were reluctant to give me the Document. I was charged almost $1000 for dealer services I did not receive including a Charge for a $599 Paint Treatment, Window Tint, and Pinstriping.
Needless to say I recieved a nice refund from the Dealership which went towards my Fiberglass tonneau Cover. Good Luck with your Situation.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I hope the "We Owe" from another deal will go a long way to show the GM that things have not been properly handled in this deal.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
...How can I go about finding out if I was really sold a certified used vehicle and if I have the 100,000 additional mile warranty that I was promised with the certification? At this point I get the feeling I'm getting the run a round and about extremely disappointed.
Hi RonMan,

As some other folks suggested, I'd recommend reaching out to the general manager of your dealership directly. I know they'd appreciate the opportunity to make this right. I can't step in to assist with sales concerns directly, but if you'd like, I can document your feedback about this experience. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, dealership info, and any details you'd like me to include. I'll make sure this is entered and available for internal review.

Crystal

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Crystal,
I have tried several times to send you a PM but keep getting an error. Is there another way I can contact you?

·
Registered
352 Posts
YEP. CPO'S ARE UP TOO 100K.. YOUVE GOT 12/12 BUMPER TO BUMPER COVERAGE, UP TOO 100K FOR ENGINE AND POWERTRAIN. THEN ITS DONE. IF YOU PURCHASE AN ESP IT KICKS AFTER THE CPO HAS RUN OUT. MOST OF THE TIME ITS OVERLAPPING COVERAGE. YOU JUST GET A RENTAL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts