The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to changing the power steering fluid with Mobil 1 ATF. I think I took a little too much out when pumping fluid through the return line into a pail and getting air in the system. I did get about 1-1/2 quarts new ATF in the system, but pump was whining loudly when applying brakes, turning steering wheel.

Went to our archives in advanced search and found a 2008 post (air in power steering system after changing components) and followed Kevin’s advice...jack up front wheels, engine to 1500-1700 rpm, turning steering wheel lock to lock and working brakes, while keeping a check on fluid level. I did this 7 or 8 times and kept working the air out, Took it for a drive and perfect. Thank you klhansen!

While searching I noticed a couple posts where guys have said every oil change they suck out what they can from the power steering pump reservoir and replace with new ATF. Is this a good practice (?) or better to flush/fill using the procedure with the return line on the hydra boost until all old fluid is replaced. Thanks! Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I've only changed mine twice, the initial flush and swap to Mobil-1 then after a few years I flushed it again, mainly because I was afraid I had gotten some water drops in it after cleaning the engine and forgetting to cover the cap. Have had no issues in 11 years and the pump has remained quiet. Before the initial flush I would get a whine on cold mornings.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I see no reason to mess with the ATF in the power steering unit after replacing with modern high quality ATF, although there would be no harm in doing what you describe every oil change if you just enjoy tinkering with your truck.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see no reason to mess with the ATF in the power steering unit after replacing with modern high quality ATF, although there would be no harm in doing what you describe every oil change if you just enjoy tinkering with your truck.
And they aren’t exactly giving away the Mobil 1 ATF, but I did catch a sale through Summit a couple of weeks ago and got it for just a little over 8$ a quart / free shipping- buying 10 quarts.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I would just do a flush every 5 years/100,000 miles. Even that might be overkill.
DENNY

·
Super Moderator
25,345 Posts
And they aren’t exactly giving away the Mobil 1 ATF,
You got that right! I usually try to get it at the wholesaler in town. But still well over $6/qt the last time I got some. Which reminds me I need to try and pick up another case of 6. Not for the PS system though. That's still good since I changed the pump. Might be tough to do since we're supposedly locked down. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts