The Diesel Stop banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
O.K. I didn't find instructions that I thought I saw before but I do see on their (Expensive) $119 model with the bracket & such that there IS a threaded end nipple on the filter that they said uses an AN6 attachment. Guess you clean the end of the cut steel pipe. Slide a Nut & then ferrel on and then stick the pipe into the open hole inlet & outlet of the filter. Then slide the ferrel & nut up & tighten it down. (Guess that's considered a typical ferrel/nut installation on light steel tubing). Seems like just the rubber to a nipple with a clamp would be the easier way to do it. Though there is something to be said for a "mechanical fit" for lines as important as these.
Maybe the filter only (cheap ones) just have a plastic nipple & some small sections of rubber tube you cut to fit and clamp down???? Anyone know???? That's what it looks like in the pictures. Hopefully they are steel & not plastic nipples but for $15.oo I sort of doubt it.....

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Maybe the filter only (cheap ones) just have a plastic nipple & some small sections of rubber tube you cut to fit and clamp down???? Anyone know???? That's what it looks like in the pictures. Hopefully they are steel & not plastic nipples but for $15.oo I sort of doubt it.....
The Magnafine filter ends are not threaded. The common attachment method is rubber ATF hose and hose clamp around the thick-walled plastic ends. Since the filter is attached on the ATF return line (low pressure) the risk of leak is small and easily tightened. Stock is (EDIT: 3/8") but if you do the 6.0 Upgrade then you will probably use 1/2" ATF lines. The MagnaFine filter can be ordered in either size.

The typical location is forward the front axle where the ATF lines are rubber.

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
Stock is 3/8". Most people put the 3/8-1/2" conversion in front of the intercooler and the magnefine is most easily accessible if you put it right behind where the hoses pass next to the intercooler so I use the 3/8".

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Stock is 3/8". Most people put the 3/8-1/2" conversion in front of the intercooler and the magnefine is most easily accessible if you put it right behind where the hoses pass next to the intercooler so I use the 3/8".
I installed mine between where the ATF hose routed around the back side of the radiator and a few inches before the steel line. For some reason I thought that was a recommended location because it is easily accessible for replacement and allows me to look for crimping in the hose.

Thanks for catching the 3/8" dimension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Direction of Flow 'Arrow Indication' on Magnafine

Ford originally required the Magnefine to be installed with a replacement transmission and then backed out of that opinion. My theory is that too many people were never changing them and they backed up to the point where even the bypass was blocked. I personally use the Magnefine filter and change it every third oil change just like you suggested. I also drop my pan to inspect the magnet and refill with 8 quarts of clean Dex/Merc. My pan so far is spotless and the magnet rarely has anything on it. I'm going to keep up the routine and see if I can't be the first person to get a million miles out of my original 4R100.
My external filter was covered in grime, Next day I bought a Raybestos Magnefine replacement external filter. Yike's the new filter had a direction arrow on the reinstall, I didn't see, as the old one was covered in road grime.
So, following the direction arrow,----the white printed label on the magnefine goes on the Radiator Side,---pointing back to the lowside return line.
It is by my reasoning, pushing the fluid thru the Radiator, and filtering the trans. fluid on it's way BACK TO the Pan.
IS THIS RIGHT?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR AN ANSWER.,

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
The flow is from the front of the transmission to the radiator, then to the aux cooler, then to the rear of the transmissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The flow is from the front of the transmission to the radiator, then to the aux cooler, then to the rear of the transmissions.
Thank you for the Reply and Logic.
I have now figured it out. Simple test is to have helper crank the starter while you are under the truck with a good light---, kill it if the engine starts, and watch the lines, (minus the filter)---which one pushes low pressure fluid out.
It is the line on the Radiator Side. So, have the Arrow on your new Magnafine Filter, pointing BACK to the Transmission.
I did this of course with a full pan of new fluid, and the External Filter we are talking about, being the last part of the Tranny Service Job.

Logically, the idea is cleaning the fluid before it goes home to the Pan.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Rocky,

This might be lost in translation but where is your filter located?

1. Between front of trans and radiator?
2. Between radiator and auxiliary cooler?
3. Between auxiliary cooler and rear of trans?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Filter is located on the passenger side, front, right below and slightly behind the Radiator. Connected to the line (return line?) which enters the lower side of the transmission. The line ends in a sharp 90 degree into previously said trans. body.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Filter is located on the passenger side, front, right below and slightly behind the Radiator. Connected to the line (return line?) which enters the lower side of the transmission. The line ends in a sharp 90 degree into previously said trans. body.
OK, so your filter is located in the Retuen Line between Auxiliary Cooler -> Side of Trans (Rear) and the Arrow on the filter is pointing back toward the Trans.

All good when a 15K mile Replacement Interval is maintained. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Use MERCON V fluid.

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Need to nowe wute automatic trans fluid to use on my 99 f250 73

Mark is a man of few words, but in this case he's right.

Your Owner's Guide says to use MERCON, but Ford no longer sells plain ole MERCON. Several years ago Ford replaced both MERCON and MERCON V with a reformulated MERCON V that Ford now says to use in the 4R100 tranny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Couple of dumb questions..

Do I disconnect the line marked #2 or #4 in the orginal post to put the tubing onto?

I have a Magnefine filter behind the cooler. I assume I pump out all the fluid, then change out the Magnefine, then add the new Mobil 1 ATF, correct?

Thanks for helping out the dummy!

:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Remove the line at #2.

You can't pump all the fluid out and then just add all new fluid. Please go back and read the procedure again.

Remove the line at #2. Start the engine and it will pump out about 5-8 quarts. Sometime after the flow becomes steady you'll get a big air bubble. That's when you shut the engine off. Now change the Mangefine, then add as much fluid as came out, and start the engine again. After it has steady flow and then the big air bubble, shut the engine off. Now add as much as came out again. Start the engine, etc.

Replace the line at #2 back to the trans. Refill the trans with as much as came out the last time, and start the engine, and set the fluid level with the dipstick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So the "mechanic" who worked on the truck before me apparently put the Magnefine on backwards! Same scenario as above...Magnefine cut into hose on passenger side below and behind the radiator right before it enters the line that runs back to the #2 spot on the transmission. I've run the truck for about 35K but ...knock on wood...haven't had any problems. He's got the arrow running towards the front of the truck.

Can anyone tell me what kind of damage he did to my truck? Again, I haven't noticed any problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
He didn't cause any damage unless the trans overheated. Even if the flow is 100% blocked through the cooler the cooler bypass will keep fluid flowing to the lube system.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Please excuse if this has been addressed, but is it possible to remove the inline Magnefine filter and attach the tubing at that location for this tranny flush & fill?

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Yes, you can do that.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts