The Diesel Stop banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay guys,need some help. Just followed the procedures to change transmission fluid in my 2000 7.3 4x4 excursion. It has 250000 miles on it. Found lots of crud on magnet,looked like fur and fluid was burnt,very dark and bad smell. Was driving home from long trip and od light started flashing and started shifting weird, that's what brought this on. So went to do the flush after dropping pan and changing filter by undoing rear line going into transmission and connected my tubing, started truck and fluid shot out of transmission all over the place and not out the line. ...what causes this,is my cooler blocked? ? Also the front of the transmission appears to have a lot of fluid all over it where it connects to block, And with crud all over magnet is it time for the shop? ??

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
The fluid coming out of the trans instead of the cooler line means the cooler circuit is restricted. Either a cooler line is damaged or one of the two coolers is plugged. Find out what's wrong with the coolers before doing anything else.

Mark

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here's another tip:

Be ready for about a pint of fluid to come at your head when you pull the filter loose.
I only had a few drops come out when I pulled the filter.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Just to be sure...you did put the pan back on before starting the truck to try the flush, right? Just not completely clear from the description of what you did. If the pan was left off then naturally you would get fluid coming out from all over the transmission. Just checking :)

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
You can use it only if it is after the coolers. If it is before the coolers it will always pass.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can use it only if it is after the coolers. If it is before the coolers it will always pass.
Mine is after the coolers, but if the bypass is malfunctioning will fluid still come out the hard line even though the banjo fitting is attached and intact ?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
It probably would, but I've never done it the way you are describing, so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Synthetic or not?

Hey all,
I've had my truck 10 years now, and I've put a total of 35,000 miles on it in that time. We only use it to pull our trailer every summer and it gets babied.
I used these instructions to change my fluid when I first got the truck, and figure it's time to do it again.

It has the original trans in it still, with 125,000 miles on it. My research long ago told me that it does not have the "diode" transmission in it. It's the truck in my signature.

Doesn't look like the procedures have changed at all in 10 years, but wondering about fluid? When I changed it 35,000 miles ago I just used the Mercon V, non synthetic. It still looks and smells good.

Is synthetic the way to go now or is the old Mercon V non synthetic what everyone is using?

Appreciate the input...I only do this once in a great while!
Thanks in advance!
Randy

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
I still recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It is MERCON V rated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I completed this service this past weekend on my '03 Ex. Everything went off as prescribed. I found Mobil 1 ATF at AZ for $10.49 per qt. The problem is they only carry 1-2 cases in stock so I had to hit 3 stores before I had enough ATF to complete the service.

I purchased the MF filter on line from MF directly. The price has gone up a bit to ~$20. it was ~$24 shipped. My truck didn't have one of these existing but I thought it cheap insurance to add it. I drained mine from the line where it connects near the front of the engine. much easier than messing around with the banjo fitting and that's where I installed the MF filter as well.

Awesome write up Smokey and Mark! Thanks for all the info!

Now, I just have to figure out where I can recycle 5 gals of used ATF, lol

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Used ATF is typically accepted anywhere used motor oil is recycled...even in the same drum.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, if you guys read a few posts back I WAS going to change my fluid last October. I realized that I hadn't changed the magnefine filter for a few years so I ordered a couple of those and then was going to change the fluid when I got them. I've had them now for a few months and am FINALLY getting around to doing this project. I do have a couple of questions.

The truck is in my sig, has 128,000 miles on it (now) and I just completed the most difficult tow I've ever done since I've had this truck. We went from Salt Lake to Preston Idaho (near there) in 105 degree heat both ways. Towing my fully loaded up 26' Toy Hauler. My transmission temp got up to 200 degrees for the first time EVER while going up that big hill before Brigham City on the way back. It was only there for about 15 minutes, but before that I don't think I had ever seen it over 190 and that only happens occasionally. Reminded me that it was time to swap in that Synthetic trans fluid I've been putting off for so long. I did see the gauge pop up QUICKLY to 220 for a few minutes, then popped back down quickly...I've had intermittent trouble with this (this is actually the THIRD) temperature gauge since I've had it and I've learned that if it goes up then down quickly to ignore it. It did scare me however as I didn't really see it go UP...I just noticed it, and panicked, then did notice it went DOWN to 190 VERY quickly (like instantly)...so again, I think that was just the guage. Truck handled everything well, and I drove it within it's limits saving the truck as best I could. Fluid still smells good, and still looks pinkish red. No issues, lights, symptoms or anything other than I had to change my shirt in Brigham City when I got there as I had sweated thru it due to nervousness! That was the steepest/hottest/heaviest climb I've ever done with that truck and I just felt sorry for it. :)

1st question: Anyway, Going to go with the highly recommended Mobil 1 synthetic, but wondered if I should change that Magnefine BEFORE, DURING or AFTER this procedure? I changed the fluid before at 96000 so I think it's due. 32,000 miles on that fluid. But I didn't install the Magnefine until some time after that the first time.

2nd Question...If I recall, it seems like the filter was just a screen when I changed it years ago. Do I need to change the filter/screen this time or can I just do the drain/flush/refill as outlined at the first of this post?

Thanks in advance!

Randy

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
You don't need to change the internal filter. I can't come up with a reason to change the Magnefine before, during, or after. As long as the new one is on there when you're done I think you're fine.

As for your temperatures you don't have anything to worry about. 200F is absolutely normal. In fact, you can go as high as 220F all day long with no problems. You can go as high as 250F for up to a half hour at a time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mark,
Thank you for the VERY quick response to my questions! Definitely put my mind at ease.
Very much appreciated!

Edit: Picked up 8 quarts of the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF tonight, 2 at a time at different Autozones...with the rewards program I'll end up about $8.50 or $9.00 per quart...better than any price I could find online and I'll have them all by tomorrow. I'm planning on getting 20 quarts.
Randy

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Every time I have changed my Magnefine, only a tablespoon or so drips out of the line.

If you cut the old one open to inspect the magnet & paper filter then I hope you will post pictures.

BTW, was your new Magnefine the old black style or the new steel casing?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You don't have to cut Magnefines open to see inside. 2 pairs of channel locks will take them apart because they now are 2 piece and threaded together.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Success and Done!

Just an update here..I finally finished my trans fluid flush/change following the instructions at the beginning of this thread. I went from the old Mercon fluid that had been in there for about 28,000 miles or so, and changed it all over to Mobil 1 sythetic ATF. Here are some observations that might help others in the future:

1. I premarked my drain buckets with quart increments so that I would know how much fluid I was pumping out each time, and when to turn the truck off. This helped a lot. And along those lines, have plenty of them to pour the fluid into, etc.

2. I changed the Magnefine filter BEFORE doing the fluid change so as to not lose any of my expensive Mobil 1 Synthetic fluid after the fact. Turns out very minimal fluid loss for magnefine filter change. Also, I did open the magnefine up, and found that it was not very dirty at all, and no chunks of anything, etc. Very happy about that.

3. Of 20 quarts of Mobil 1 Sythetic ATF, I ended up with just 1/2 quart left over after the flush, fill and top off.

My truck has always had, for lack of a better way of describing it....a "shudder" when starting off in first gear always. After the fluid change, I was happy to see that this "shudder" is now extremely minimized and might even be gone completely. Everything else seems about the same. Haven't towed with it yet. Took me about 1 hour (not including the magnefine, which took an hour by itself as I have to remove my lower front bumper guard to get to it) from start to finish with my wife helping me in the drivers seat.

Thanks for all the tips and help!

Randy

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
That sounds like an inconvenient location...I usually see these inline filters installed in an easily accessible area that allows for 5 minute swaps.

Thanks for that follow-up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed the mishimoto 7.3 cooler now we need to exchange transmission fluid in the system. When taking out the old cooler and putting this new one in and draining the trans. pan altogether it drained out about 2 gallons (8 quarts) so now we need to exchange fluid after the new 7.3 install...there is not a magna. filter on any line.. we have to do this later as we are crunched for time (gotta finish this in a couple hours going camping pulling a big travel trailer in mountains tomorrow). So the teams fluid is a brown red. Definitely time for a change. My question is do we add all 8 quarts then still take off the line in the back return by transmission and add the clear line to bucket. I really didn't want to clog the brand new cooler with old fluid if possible. We bought the synthetic Mobil atf as our trans gets hot pulling in mountains. I don't know what fluid was in it before. Or do we pull off the line somewhere up by the cooler to hook the clear line that goes into bucket?
?#1 First add 8 qts new fluid?
?#2 Then hook up clear line to ? so nothing clogs the new 7.3 mishimoto cooler?
?#3 We are in summer so the trans. isn't cold but it's not at operating temp because it was yesterday we did the 7.3 trans install, and today we will exchange fluid. Does that matter that it's not operating temp?
I'm helping my husband do all this work and if someone could help me get this step by step, I really appreciate it. I read the post at top and it all makes sense except we drained an extra quart+ a little more because of the new 7.3 cooler install. And the fact I am hoping nothing gets clogged anywhere. Thanks you so much for your time and helpful posts!

121 - 140 of 150 Posts