The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Anyone happen to know if there is a part number for changing out the front cover? Looking for cover and all gaskets and seals.

Oh ... if you happen to know torque values for reinstalling the cover I'd appreciate it. I wrote down 23 ft/lbs but am not sure if that is correct.

Thanks, FB

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
The big question in my mind is why you need to change the timing cover. :shrug03:
If it's like most of the recent diesels, you need to pull the engine and pan to get the timing cover off. Not a job you want to take lightly.

From Fordparts.com website:

Base PN 6019
Engine Timing Cover
6.4L Diesel V8 Twin Turbo
$757.62

It doesn't give you the full part number, but if you search using your truck year, make, model and engine, you can get an illustration.

If you REALLY need one, plug in Autonation Ford White Bear Lake as your selling dealer to get a better price.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am surprised that you have to drop the pan ... even more that you hve to pull the engine. I'll have to crawl around it and inspect edges.

I need to change the radiator, as its got this vapor leak (smell but no drops). I'll change belts and tensioners too (90k miles). Might as well pull water pump and have a look for cavitation. If cover is bad, I'll change it out. However ... I'll be working in my buddies driveway. Nice of him to do that. I just don't want to tie up his place longer than I have to and thought I'd get ready with part numbers just in case I need to rush a shipment. I saw a video someplace and don't recall any surprises, e.g. drop oil pan.

I can plug in my VIN and get parts but I was looking for a part number for a front cover change that included all seals and such. Not sure if it exists.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
I've never seen a kit that includes gaskets, other than a water pump replacement. Give AutoNation White Bear Lake a call. They're pretty knowledgeable and helpful.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just heard back ... no single part number but they provided the following:

The timing cover gasket & front seal is part number 8C3Z-6019-D. You will also want to purchase O rings for the various tubes that care connected to the front cover.

W301924 (x2)
W302448 (X2)

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The upper and lower oil pans do not need to be removed to replace the front engine cover on a 6.4L PSD engine. The cover is neither bolted to or sealed to the oil pan.

·
Vendor
612 Posts
Agreed. But you'll need special tools to remove and install oil pump wear sleeve and front seal.

Very Important - Assemble the pump to the cover before installing!! Pump has dowels that align it to the cover. Pump locates on the crank. There are no alignment pins on the cover. Guess what happens if you install the cover then put the pump on....yeah, don't ask.

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. But you'll need special tools to remove and install oil pump wear sleeve and front seal.

Very Important - Assemble the pump to the cover before installing!! Pump has dowels that align it to the cover. Pump locates on the crank. There are no alignment pins on the cover. Guess what happens if you install the cover then put the pump on....yeah, don't ask.
Yeah, I've been looking/pricing the crankshaft seal install tool. Just need a slap hammer or seal puller to remove old crankshaft seal.

Thanks for the advice on pump install. The F250 shop notes I have don't mention anything about allignment.

·
Vendor
612 Posts
I buy my Ford Special Tools right from SPX/OTC, which is now a Bosch branded company. The tool setup you need is about $200.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts