The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would ask if there is any thing that might bite me when I install the new one in the a.m?
Had to buy a new one at O'Reilly auto parts 246.00 tonight. any pointers would help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

·
Registered
923 Posts
Be careful with the thermostat housing, that little flange can bend pretty easily then not seal up. Then you'll have a leak and it's not necessarily easy to tell where it is coming from. In case you can't guess, this happened to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and I fixed it by pulling it off, sanding everything down smooth, and putting in a little rtv sealant. Moral of the story, make sure everything is smooth and clean before bolting it back up, kind of obvious though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Other than that, it's really not a big deal.

Steve

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
MODCREW!

Pretty straight forward job once you get down to the pump. Do you have tools to get the fan clutch off of the pump? The right tools are worth their weight in gold for that! It is a normal right-hand thread.
Heed the warnings to be careful with the thermostat housing, it can be tweaked and leak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Once you are there and have the pump off, be careful that the o-ring/gasket stays in place as you put the pump in place. The Ford reman. that I installed last week had nubs on the o-ring to hold it in the grooves of the pump. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some will differ with me on this part, but I cleaned up the threads of the bolts (oh pay attention to their placement as there are different length bolts) with a wire wheel and put a little anti-seize on them. Installed the o-ring dry on a clean surface. The torque spec is 15 ft/lbs.
Pulley to pump spec is 18 ft/lbs.
Fan clutch (the big guy) was ...???? 84 to 100 ft/lbs or somthing close to that... it goes real tight!

This is a good time to catch up on coolant maintenance too... fresh coolant and proper level of SCA's!

Hope that helps!

God Bless,

TC

·
Registered
255 Posts
just did mine i recomend that you use a ford water pump gasket as it fit better than the one tha came with the pump i got a new one at checker $170.00 and paid $22.00 for the gasket from a stealership. heed the wanings on therm housing it bends when you horse off the upper rad hose(guess how i know that) time to put new coolant napa has 50/50 precharge for about $8.00 a gallon just pour and go alrady has the goodies in it and is mixed with distilled water thats my 02 cents. good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
time for a 203 degree stat as well good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts