The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my 1992 RV, E350 7.3L IDI w/A4OD....
I have read quite a few instructions on changing the tranny fluid. I recently read one post that said I would have problem if I tried to use the fluid cooler line if the tranny fluid was cold. I think it was said that there was thermostatically operated by-pass valve that might prevent me from completing my flush since the new oil will not be hot. Most posts don't mention this. Is this true?

I have eight gallons of Amsoil synthetic I expect to use. I believe my torque converter has a drain valve so I will drain it. I expect I will drop the pan to expedite that oil drain, prime it with new fluid, then maybe blow out the lines (15 lbs or less) then begin my flush with new fluid. Unless this thermostat by-pass issue is real. If I am missing something please let me know.

Well, first I'll change the filter, install a drain plug in the pan and an external oil filter. Also I have an aluminum radiator with 12v fan from a motorcycle I am considering for aux cooling.

About Amsoil: I also own a 1990 F250 4x4 long-bed x-cab w/7.3L IDI 130k miles, with a ZF 5-spd and taller diff gears. I pull my 7k lb 5th wheel up some nasty mtn grades. Truck did just fine for years, then the tranny would act hot. HARD to move the shift lever, tranny made odd noises. I changed the fluid but it didn't help. Then I changed to the Amsoil synthetic and all the issues went away. They claim it can handle at least 20°F more heat, IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
There is no thermostat in your E4OD transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts