The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys after a year of oil leaking from my oil pan I found time to pull the motor and replace it (2 gallons of oil a week was getting expensive). So it's all back together but now my issue is a charging issue. I drove the truck around for a test drive and everything was great. I turned off the truck and the next day I had a battery light so I tested the voltage with the truck running and 11.5v on both batteries. Ok so I pulled the connections off the batteries and cleaned them up. Pulled the grounds off the block and cleaned those up replaced the positive terminal on the back of the alternator because it was barely hanging and replaced the alternator regulator harness for good measure. Before anybody asks yes I had the alternator bench tested at Napa and it passed over and over. No blown fuses, good clean connections and grounds. So what am I missing. The last time I cranked up the truck I must have run down the batteries too much because it idled really poorly and spewed white smoke the entire time it was running so now I have the batteries charging before going any further. Could it still be the alternator eve though it bench tested well or is there something else I should be checking?

·
Registered
936 Posts
1. Wiring. Since you just recently yanked and then shoehorned the motor back in, the most likely suspect that created the change in performance is wiring.

2. Belt drive. Bench test doesn't show if the alternator is being driven when mounted on the truck. Is there enough spring power in the tensioner?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts