The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ford F-350 6.0 power stroke auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to the forum I have a few problems with my 2006 Ford F-350 6.0 powerstroke for starters I have determined it needs a ficm voltage drops to 30 when first fired up in the morning when it’s cold however it runs decent when it warms up with a slight intermittent miss at idle the truck surges on acceleration and has a miss when cruising at 100km with tourque converter locked up between about 1500-1800 rpm if you romp on it miss seems to vanish but you can still somewhat hear it and feel the surging the only thing done to the truck is an older edge Cs chip and a stupid after market air intake bought the truck like that wasn’t my choice anyways I am trying to diagnose the missing and surging I have a ficm on the way the only codes I’m getting are a fan signal code for clutch fan and an egr insufficent flow code I have tried unplugging egr cleaning egr u plugging icp ebp sensor etc I have a pretty decent scan tool and noticed the mag reading way out to lunch it’s not coding for it but it says it’s range is from 0-200 basically and the thing will hit 400 all day long for mgs or whatever it’s called I can’t remember what it said exactly I’m trying to diagnose the truck without throwing parts at it at random and I’m not to sure what direction to go with it I am 90% sure it needs a ficm because of the low voltage when cold however I don’t know if that’s my miss and surge or not I run the truck on a mild tow tune and have found just by playing around truck seems to run better with chip set to extreme as opposed to preformance or tow or stock the truck is an absolute dog set back to stock with no power whatsoever won’t get out of its own way seems to run ok ish on extreme with plenty of power but still has a miss and slight surge but almost null the lower you turn down the chip or back to stock the worse it gets and I’ve owned one of these trucks before and it had plenty of power stock I mean it is a 1 ton long box crew cab sitting on 37 inch tires but I can tell it massively lacking in power and like I said the more you turn the chip up the better it gets turn it down or back to stock and it’s horrible I’m sure the chip is just compensating or masking whatever issue I have when I turn it up but I can not for the life of me figure out what it needs only codes are clutch fan signal code can’t remember the number off the top of my head and egr code p0401 sorry for the long winded post just trying to give as much info as I can any help would be greatly appreciated also trying to determine weather it’s actually a miss at cursing speed or tourque converter shutter but I’m almost certain it’s a miss

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I would replace the FICM first before chasing anything else. It's filing and weak. Low voltage at start up is one part of it - the voltage can drop while driving once the module gets hot. You could monitor it to see if that is happening...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would replace the FICM first before chasing anything else. It's filing and weak. Low voltage at start up is one part of it - the voltage can drop while driving once the module gets hot. You could monitor it to see if that is happening...
Thanks for the reply I do monitor ficm voltage while driving it normally hovers around 47-48 volts when hot occasionally drops to 46 but maybe it’s dropping lower quickly and coming back up before I even notice it

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If it drops to 30V, then you need to have your unit repaired (FICMrepair.com or CircuitBoardMedics.com do a better job in the rebuild than what you get with a new unit). As posted above, do that first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now would a ficm out of an 03 work for my 06 I have a chance to get a reman one right now for next to nothing and I was going to run that one for a bit and either send mine away or get an upgraded 58 volt ficm

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Yes it will work.

You absolutely do not need a higher voltage FICM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya that’s what I figured I will probably just get mine repaired and have it hanging around after I drop in the other one I’m getting never hurts to have a spare ficm around I’ll keep you posted with updates when I get my other ficm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well changed ficm and replaced a turbo boot that I found had a small pin hole in it still no change also changed fuel filters as well only codes are an occasional clutch fan code and egr code still misses at highway speed you can feel it majorly when the torque converter locks up and still surging would the ebv tube being plugged possibly cause this this is the next direction I’m kind of heading with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts