The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been playing with a bunch of methods, and settled on one for home use which does probably 5-10 gallons an hour.

really really simple.

I use 15 gallon round plastic barrels obtained free from local dairies.

This is my pump. When you get it, pour several squirts of oil down it before you ever start it or it will screw up the vanes inside of it.

12 Volt Marine Utility Pump

You need a 5 foot length of garden hose, and a 10 foot length. The 5 footer is suction, and you want a weight wired somehow to the end.

I have two whole house water filter housings. The ones I have are 3/4 pipe inlet and outlet, and I put them in series.
Culligan HD-950A

I am using the poly wound 10 inch filter cartridges. I am using ones rated 5 microns, which means not much....

The process. I get a barrel not quite full. I add gasoline at a ratio 10 to 1. So, lets say I have a 15 gallon barrel, 2/3 full. I add one gallon of gasoline.

Then i mix the barrel reasonably well.

I suck out of the barrel with the inlet, into the pump, and push it through first filter, then the second filter, then into another clean barrel.

Then I pump it from that barrel, with the same setup, into the truck. The oil gets filtered 4 times.

I backflush the filters when they slow way down by switching the wires on the pump to the battery, and running the sludge into a junk bucket.

I change the first filter every 200 gallons or so, the second filter does not get plugged hardly ever.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
10 percent gasoline still smokes a bit on all the rigs, and I will fine tune it by adding a bit more gasoline directly to the tank in the truck.

Typically I end up at 15 percent gasoline. I have been running all motor oil, no hydraulic or trans fluid.

The gasoline REALLY thins the oil out, and makes it pretty close to diesel when you get it right.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
price:
pump - 40 bucks
barrels free
garden hoses 15 in fittings
filter housings - 30 each, for total of 60
filters are 4 dollars each.

10 bucks in fittings - basically a hose to MPT times two, and a 3/4 nipple between the filter housings.

39 Posts
filtering

$150.00 total investment. 275 gal fuel tank, free for hauling away, with 90 gal #2 heating oil, $33.00 1/2 hp water pump (harbor freight) log splitter filter, 10 micron fuel/ water sep from (tractor supply) 2 micron water/fuel sep from summit racing. Filters 5 gal in 40 seconds, pour in tank and go.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just clean my drain pan real well and dump my WMO from the crankcase to the pan to the fuel tank. I would LIKE to have a filter setup, yours are real nice. I figure the trucks f/filter will do it's job, in the meantime.

I only have a few hundred mile, using this process. I don't drive this vehicle much.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just clean my drain pan real well and dump my WMO from the crankcase to the pan to the fuel tank. I would LIKE to have a filter setup, yours are real nice. I figure the trucks f/filter will do it's job, in the meantime.

I only have a few hundred mile, using this process. I don't drive this vehicle much.
i tried dumping my engine oil into my tank. plugged within 5 miles.

engine oil is 20 microns at best, fuel filter needs to be 10 microns or less.

39 Posts

Better put a new fuel filter behind your seat, you will need it one day soon when you're on the highway.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

Better put a new fuel filter behind your seat, you will need it one day soon when you're on the highway.

Be very careful about this....even straight from your oil pan, you are going to clog the filter real quick. Oil is dirtier than you would be lead to think. Hundreds of particles (ppm) over 15 microns...and hundreds under 5 microns. Get a centrifuge....then you will have lots of particles that are 1 micron or smaller :D Leave the centrifuge in a 55 gal drum of oil for about 4 hours it will be realllly clean. Google spinner 2 centrifuge if your interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be very careful about this....even straight from your oil pan, you are going to clog the filter real quick. Oil is dirtier than you would be lead to think. Hundreds of particles (ppm) over 15 microns...and hundreds under 5 microns. Get a centrifuge....then you will have lots of particles that are 1 micron or smaller :D Leave the centrifuge in a 55 gal drum of oil for about 4 hours it will be realllly clean. Google spinner 2 centrifuge if your interested.
Have you ever heard of someone using a .5 micron filter sock and dropping it in? I know they are +- .5 micron generally so I figure it would get out 9/10 of the crap If the fuel filter is only at 5 micron.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
This is a 12-year old thread so you probably would be better off creating a new thread with your question.

With diesel prices averaging over $5/gallon, I bet we will start seeing renewed interest in this forum.

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts