The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
My 95 F250 7.3 check engine light comes on during a cold start and stays on for a minute or so and then goes out and the engine will run normal. When the CEL is on, the engine runs smoothly but sounds quiet and sluggish. I can hold the engine at 800-900 RPM and when the CEL turns off, the engine briefly hiccups then runs 400-500 RPM faster without moving the accelerator pedal and sounds normal and ready to go. If the engine is idling when the CEL turns off, the engine will hiccup and usually dies. The engine will re-start quickly and normally and sound as it should with the CEL remaining turned off. I have driven the truck with the CEL on and the tranny shifts are delayed and really hard. Everything is normal when the CEL turns off. This problem never happens with a warm engine. It only happens after the truck sits overnight and the engine is cold.
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Premium Member
9,843 Posts
I would imagine that you have a code stored that would be very helpful in figuring out the problem.

Check out this if you would like to see if you can pull the code itself.

My first guess would be the exhaust back pressure valve. There is a electrical connection to it under the turbo that you can unplug and see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: 1997VAstroker

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think the computer is running a check and is taking longet than normal. If it's cold like 0 out it may take more time than normal. look for codes buy my guess there is nothing there. I would however check anyway.
You do know that your truck is about 30 years old. they seem to slow down like we do at 60 LOL

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I think the computer is running a check and is taking longet than normal.
No. The POST happens faster than you can detect. The CEL only stays on with the engine running if the test detects a significant fault.
You do know that your truck is about 30 years old.
That has nothing to do with this symptom. Mine is only 2 years younger, and it lights off after ~1.5sec cranking, even in snow, without CEL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts