The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my 2008 F350 drw 6.4 to work this morning and had a check engine light come. Truck seems to be running fine. It is a low mileage truck - 58,000 miles. Last time I went to the dealer for a cracked turbo inlet pipe it cost me $2,300 for a "cab off" repair...ouch!!! Can someone give me good advise on how to find someone reputable to help me diagnose this without spending an arm and a leg at a Dealer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - I just drove my truck to the local Ford Dealer. They hooked up to the OBD port with a red hand held device about the size of a calculator and said that, even though my check engine light is one, there is no active code showing. Said if it ran ok then I could keep driving or maybe schedule an appointment for further diagnostics. Any thoughts on what this might be?

·
Registered
212 Posts
that was about the equiv of taking it to autozone or advanced auto... they can read active codes... they most often can't read stored codes or pending coded. I hope they didn't charge you... .

you'll need an IDS or Snap-on tool to read pending or stored, or pull history.

so... it sounds like you tripped a code, and now the code is inactive... the light will remain for X number of key cycles.... you can turn your key on and off until it goes away (you don't have to start it)... but... if it tripped a code, i'd want to know why even if I had to pay for that information. these rigs are intricate in a way that one tiny issue can quickly cascade into a major issue if left unaddressed...

if I were to wildly guess what code or family of codes it would be to just disappear like that and the truck still appear to run fine, I'd say a momentary blink on the fuel systems- and then a return within parameter. something like a P0087/0088, or a P0192/3/4...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They did not charge me but did offer to do an in depth diagnosis by hooking it up to the "better" machine for $150. And maybe if there is a risk of this turning into something serious, maybe I should bite the bullet to prevent major cost down the road.

Thanks for the advise and info.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So two days ago my check engine light went off on its own. I was hoping this was a good sign. Now this morning on the way to work it came on again - truck seems to run fine. I suppose a trip to the shop to see what the code is would be safest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - My whole problem turned out to be a one of the thermostats was stuck open. Just had both replaced and now am hoping for the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts