The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

First, I love this site. The knowledge contained among the users is astonishing. This is my first post in a very long time, but I've done some searching and need some help.

'02 F250 XLT CC 4x4 Off Road, 7.3 PSD, 152k miles

For a couple weeks now, my "Check Gage" light has been flashing erratically and when that happens, my Coolant Temp gauge either spikes, or dies in concurrence with the flashing light. When I'm at typical highway speeds, it doesn't really happen. But when accelerating just past idle, or at lower city street speed, it's pretty consistent in its flashing.

I first noticed the issue about a few weeks ago when we were having some pretty solid rains. I thought I was maybe getting something wet in the electricals under the hood, as it seemed to happen a bit when I was primarily driving through puddles on the road and grabbing my tires.

I got under the instrument cluster and in the fuse box to make sure everything was tightly connected, because at this point the issue seemed relatable to a loose wire or connection. I made sure everything was connected to the module under the hood (on the driver's wheel well), and inside around the cluster.

The next day, I had an appointment to take my truck into Ford, but didn't have any "Check Gage" flashing or spiking temp gauge UNTIL I had made my commute into the city and exited the highway (about a 30 mile hike).... Obviously leading me to believe it was a loose connection.

Ford took it in and told me they thought it might be the Temperature Control Sensor inside my coolant reservoir. But if that didn't fix it that I might need a new instrument cluster. I'm calling the bluff on the cluster, but I let them replace the sensor because it seemed cheap enough.

Well, I got my truck back today, and not two seconds as I was pulling away from Service, the "Check Gage" light began flashing again... So I threw it in reverse, and went back to "talk." They still think it's the instrument cluster now.... but I don't know.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm begging, and appreciating.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having nearly the same issue. After about 1 mile my check gage light comes on and the water temp gage spikes erratically. I've changed out the thermostat and the water temp sensor on the water pump. This did not fix the problem. Almost the same exact truck, 2002 7.3 PSD, Crew Cab, short box, 4x4. Any guru's out there on this. Previous poster seemed to have stumped everyone. It would be nice to get a learned answer. The engine is not overheating......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everybody,

First, I love this site. The knowledge contained among the users is astonishing. This is my first post in a very long time, but I've done some searching and need some help.

'02 F250 XLT CC 4x4 Off Road, 7.3 PSD, 152k miles

For a couple weeks now, my "Check Gage" light has been flashing erratically and when that happens, my Coolant Temp gauge either spikes, or dies in concurrence with the flashing light. When I'm at typical highway speeds, it doesn't really happen. But when accelerating just past idle, or at lower city street speed, it's pretty consistent in its flashing.

I first noticed the issue about a few weeks ago when we were having some pretty solid rains. I thought I was maybe getting something wet in the electricals under the hood, as it seemed to happen a bit when I was primarily driving through puddles on the road and grabbing my tires.

I got under the instrument cluster and in the fuse box to make sure everything was tightly connected, because at this point the issue seemed relatable to a loose wire or connection. I made sure everything was connected to the module under the hood (on the driver's wheel well), and inside around the cluster.

The next day, I had an appointment to take my truck into Ford, but didn't have any "Check Gage" flashing or spiking temp gauge UNTIL I had made my commute into the city and exited the highway (about a 30 mile hike).... Obviously leading me to believe it was a loose connection.

Ford took it in and told me they thought it might be the Temperature Control Sensor inside my coolant reservoir. But if that didn't fix it that I might need a new instrument cluster. I'm calling the bluff on the cluster, but I let them replace the sensor because it seemed cheap enough.

Well, I got my truck back today, and not two seconds as I was pulling away from Service, the "Check Gage" light began flashing again... So I threw it in reverse, and went back to "talk." They still think it's the instrument cluster now.... but I don't know.

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm begging, and appreciating.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks,

Brian
I had the same problem and it was a pinched wire coming form the temperature sensor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts