The Diesel Stop banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,785 Posts
Glenn

Like probably all of us, you need a Topside Creeper. ;)

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire

But at least you've got some padding up there. (y)

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Glenn

Like probably all of us, you need a Topside Creeper. ;)

View attachment 160172

But at least you've got some padding up there. (y)
Yes. I’ve been thinking about building one, I’ve got more padding than some, even with the rug🤣, but still hard to get comfortable.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Update. Started truck and injectors 2, 4, 6, 8 were spitting out good oil. Engine sputtered and died. Restarted and injectors 3, 5, 7 had very little oil spitting out.
Pulled Solenoids and Armatures on 1, 3, 5, 7 and replaced armature shims with .004” and replaced solenoid shims with .005”
Started truck and all injectors on both banks now spitting good oil and engine idling good.
Going back together and will hopefully take for a drive tomorrow to see how it runs.

So, I agree with many who have stated that shimming is just a band-aide, but hopefully it buys me some time. Getting some good hands on experience either way. Thinking about doing the work myself in a year or two if this gets me by.......new injectors, rebuild turbo, EBPV delete, exhaust manifolds, and up pipes.

i don't have internet at home for my computer so I don’t have a YouTube link but will see if this Face Book link will work of both engine banks running after the re-shimming.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Final Update👍

Wednesday:
I started the truck, and it seemed to take just a bit longer to start. Taking a short drive on the country roads near home the engine died when slowing to almost a stop. Engine started right back up and then stumbled a couple times on the way home. Checked ScanGauge2 - no codes. Got home and let idle. With my Boilermaker Ears it’s hard to diagnose but “the sound was off”. Tinny is the best description I can give.

Knowing I had shimmed, re-shimmed, and had watched all the injectors spitting oil I got to thinking about the CPS. The mechanic in Carrollton IL. wanted me to try the grey CPS from my local Ford Dealer and it was still in there. I quickly changed back to the dark blue/purple CPS. The engine fired up much quicker and the odd sound was gone, nice smooth rhythm of the 7.3 - I wanted to let the truck sit and try again when cold.

Thanksgiving Day:
Started truck, fired up fast, sounded good, took 6 small trips back and forth between my Sons home and mine..... no issues.

Friday (today):
Started truck, fired up fast, sounded good. My Wife and I drove about 80 miles today, on different trips that included city with lots of traffic lights, stop and go, sitting in traffic, highway, and interstate driving. We Just got home a bit ago and the truck has run Perfect. It would appear two problems had coexisted, injectors and the CPS. I don’t believe the UVCH’s were bad but they’re changed anyway. Nice feeling to have confidence in the truck again.

A big THANK YOU👍to TDS forum and its Community!

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
26,785 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, Glenn.
Sounds like your persistence and efforts paid off. (y)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts