The Diesel Stop banner

Chinese restaraunt shortening????

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RickHredf250 
#1 ·
I am looking at doing bio and when I was in the local chinese food place the chef said they use vegitable shortening. He said a company already came by to get it for free and they did not want it. He is paying to have it taken away and I would bet if I could use it he would give it to me no problem. So can I use this stuff. I am going to do a SVO setup first to the truck. Do I need to get a bio-diesel setup to refine this stuff? Free is GOOD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
You gotta to be more specific. A lot of luiquid is call fryer shortning but yet it is liquid.
What is it made of, soybean? Canola, Corn?
If it is liquid at 40 deg F I would take it if it titrated ok.

Rick H...

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
You gotta to be more specific. A lot of luiquid is call fryer shortning but yet it is liquid.
What is it made of, soybean? Canola, Corn?
If it is liquid at 40 deg F I would take it if it titrated ok.

Rick H...

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't know at what temp, the chef said it was soybean shortening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Apparently a company came by and looked at it and said they did not want it. What you are saying though is that given a few things shortening could be used if processed properly, right?

#5 ·
I think what's throwing other folks off is the use of the word "shortening".

When I envision "shortening", I think of a vat of lard or a tub of Crisco....

... I think someone mentioned that Doughnut shops use 'shortening' instead of cooking oil.

Take a sample jar... see how it behaves. If it turns to mud at room temperature (like Crisco/shortening)... I say leave it.

If it stays 'liquid-ish' down to around 40*-ish, then it may be worth getting.

Halitosis

#7 ·
If they are using it for fuel, either SVO or Biodiesel and they turned it down, somethings up. Maybe to much crunchies or rice in it, or maybe they tested it and it titrated to high. Might be worth obtaining a sample and titrating and as mentioned, see how it does at say 40 deg f.
Nothing worse than commiting to collecting crapy oil!
Rick H...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.