The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a programmer or performance chip. I tow a 9,000 lb TT once in a while and understand you can't use the higher power settings to tow. My question is what setting would provide the best MPG for everyday driving? All of these programmers or chips have some sort of tow setting; would that be the best fuel efficiency setting or would the higher power settings be the best assuming all other things remain the same (driving habits, conditions, etc.)?

Ray

·
Registered
791 Posts
You can tow in some of the higher settings if you have guages. I tow in the hight setting with no problems with egt's.

The problem with the higher settings is, you cannot keep form mashing it to feel the power so mpg is out the window unless you are on a trip and just setting the cruise. In this case, I like the highest setting on my tuner for best mpg. I am not talking about a noticeable diff. though. It just seems to do a little better in the mountains and hills on our roads here in Wyoming, especially when I tow my travel trailer.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have found that my 75 hp on my TS 6pos and 80hp(level 2) on my Evo give me the best mileage. I make the same 250 mile roundtrip every other week and record every tank and mileage. Usually have at least one trip on a tank with the rest city driving and avg about 18 mpg with the mentioned levels. If it's all highway,2 trips on one tank, I see about 20mpg depending on my foot and the winds on the trip.

If I use higher levels it will drop off by at least 1 mpg.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts