would recommend!

Early 99 powerstroke 7.3
4inchlift, 35in dura tracs
TS6 Position Chip
K&N Cold air intake

·
Registered
39 Posts
How about some custom tunes put on that chip? You can go with TW, PHP, DI, Swamps, Gearhead for reburns on your existing chip.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What don't you like about it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeh, What do you not like about the chip?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the chip, dont get me wrong. But whenever i have it in the
140hp setting, my truck shifts super hard. But i was thinking about
the banks 6gun, but can you have the 6gun and keep the ts hooked up?
Also have you heard anything good about that banks iQ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love the chip, dont get me wrong. But whenever i have it in the
140hp setting, my truck shifts super hard.
The more I hang around this forum and others, the more I just have to laugh.

Think about what you just said.

You put the setting at generic 140 extreme and expect the truck to act like normal. How's about getting a custom tune? Or better yet, since you no doubt beat on the truck, spend some money and beef up the tranny AND get a proper tune.

I don't understand what happened, I just put it on 140HP and jumped on it. I have no idea how my axle, trans, driveshaft, engine broke. I didn't do anything. :icon_rolleyes:

What's next, blaming TS when your tranny or your engine grenades because you like to beat on it?

Oh, and BTW- Get rid of that K&N and get some gauges before you really have something to complain about. A little research goes a long way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dude, 1 i dont have just a stock tranny it has a shift kit in it and yea i know a shift kit isnt much! Also I dont beat on my truck! :nono: Im not that stupid!
I know I need gauges, little hard when I dont have money. This site is great for when you need help with your truck, but you dont have to bag on people
like this.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
BTW, the K&N cold air is a fine intake as long as you take care of the filter. The K&N's that most people don't like is the drop in because of a casting flaw and poor sealing with the stock air boxes. So just take care in keeping that filter up and you'll be fine. But definitely, PLEASE!!! get some gauges or keep that tuner in the stock position. You'll be surprised how quickly you can get your turbo up to the 1250deg. redline especially with a hot tune AND oversized tires.

as for the OP, take and get some custom tunes put in your TS and you'll be happy you did. Generic tunes just plain suck. They also increase your exhaust temps more than the custom tunes. If you have money to get new tunes, spend that first on gauges. You'll be better off.

Just noticed you said it shifts hard and you have a shift kit. Sorry to say it this way, but... duh. A generic chip shortens up the shifts on it's own. Combine that with the shift kit that does the same thing... You asked for it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, well I think im just going to put a different filter on. But I wanna get gauges really bad, problem is though I dont have that much money. (Rent+school loans for UTI in AZ)
I can get the money but I dont know how to put em in, and it will probably be a put load
of money to have someone else put em in. But I didnt know that about the tunes for my TS, if I did I would have had put em on when I got it. But I know chips firm shifts and all that, but when it shifted when i first put the TS in. It shifted fine, thats why I asked. but thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do a google search on SLAPS, St. Louis Area PowerStrokes. I think there are guages on there for sale. I'd confirm it but I'm at work and that site is blocked here. They are a good bunch of guys, might just hook you up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
BTW, the K&N cold air is a fine intake as long as you take care of the filter. The K&N's that most people don't like is the drop in because of a casting flaw and poor sealing with the stock air boxes.
No, absolutely wrong. The K&N people complain about is the mushroom shaped one used in an open setting. Do a Google search about air filter testing and see just how much crap a K&N lets in.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Running a 140 HP tune without gauges is suicide. Please don't do it!! I have a 120 HP tune from Jody and was shocked how fast egts got over 1200. eBay has some cheap gauges from gloshift that work great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude, 1 i dont have just a stock tranny it has a shift kit in it and yea i know a shift kit isnt much! Also I dont beat on my truck! :nono: Im not that stupid!
I know I need gauges, little hard when I dont have money. This site is great for when you need help with your truck, but you dont have to bag on people
like this.
I'm not picking on you per se, I am just saying that you young guys need to set your priorities.

You should NEVER have that truck in anything other than stock setting without gauges, period. No money, no play. Simple. There is no way in the world that you can honestly say you have never beat on the truck, especially since you complain about the high chip setting. And by beat on I mean stomp on it, if even for a few seconds. Been around way too long to believe that story.

No gauges, shift kit and 140 setting on generic tune is destined for disaster, just trying to save you some heartache. Or you can keep denying and find out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm not picking on you per se, I am just saying that you young guys need to set your priorities.

You should NEVER have that truck in anything other than stock setting without gauges, period. No money, no play. Simple. There is no way in the world that you can honestly say you have never beat on the truck, especially since you complain about the high chip setting. And by beat on I mean stomp on it, if even for a few seconds. Been around way too long to believe that story.

No gauges, shift kit and 140 setting on generic tune is destined for disaster, just trying to save you some heartache. Or you can keep denying and find out the hard way.
Bingo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, my instuctor at UTI owns a machine shop and can hopefully
get me some great prices on gauges. but for now the chip is off,
and im just going to get a new filter and keep the K&N set up till
i can get some more money. But i checked SLAPS website and there
weren't any gauges on there. Do i have to call em up?? But after i get
gauges i will put some tunes om the TS

·
Registered
9 Posts
but for now the chip is off,
i can get some more money.
Now you are thinking in an adult manner. Myself and others are just trying to save you from a huge repair bill you will never be able to afford. Internet was non-existent when I was your age and places like this could have saved me a good deal of money and repair time.

As for the filter. Do what you have to for now, but do some research on K&N. They are the biggest due to marketing, not quality.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you want to save money and get a good filter, research the DIY intake which uses the 6637 filter. There have been MANY posts regarding places to purchase them for a very good price. It's the filter many here, myself included are using.

As far as gauges go, a good set shouldn't cost more than $400 or so and they definitely aren't hard to install yourself. Another money saving tip, start learning how to do all the things yourself. Labor these days is very expensive. Besides, just about everyone here will be more than happy to help you out when they can. You may even think about putting your location under the account settings so if there is anyone close they might be willing to stop by and help.

·
Registered
393 Posts
99 Powerstroke...... I sent you a PM. Have some gauges that you might want cheap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea, my instuctor at UTI owns a machine shop and can hopefully
get me some great prices on gauges. but for now the chip is off,
i can get some more money. But i checked SLAPS website and there
weren't any gauges on there. Do i have to call em up?? But after i get
gauges i will put some tunes om the TS
Hmmm, I'll try to remember where they were. I'll post a link if I can find them again. Let me know if you end up with the ones from amberjax.
Here's the skinny on the K&N. It's a cotton gauze weave impregnated with oil. You've seen gauze bandages, it's not a really tight weave. Until the filter gets some dirt in it to narrow the passages, the smaller stuff (dust) passes right through. I happen to like them on naturally aspirated motors but turbos just pull too great a volume of air! Another, not the best, option is to use a pre-filter until you can afford what you really want. The pre-filter is basically a sock that slides over the filter element.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts