The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellas & Ladies too,
We own a 1999 7.3 Powerstroke early series motor in an April build truck with no CAT and with 225,00 on the odometer. Our daughter drove it for a couple years and I did my best to drill into her head to warm it up and cool it down. just as she graduated and got her own car it developed a CLACKING noise. And this noise is only @ idle as you drive it it goes away.
And Here is what I have done.
Pulled all the rockers and inspected for cracks All were good
Pulled all the push rods to see if they were bent All were good
Compression test performed on #3 Showed 325#s
Buzz test showed #3 was light so it was changed No change in the noise
if you unplug #3 the noise will go away
the processor was updated No change in the noise
Under valve cover harness changed (right side) No change in the noise

The last shop mentioned that the oiling off the injector spout looked light could that cause this clacking?
The last shop also mentioned the ICP or the IPR and if those dont make it go away maybe the IDM that's 600.00 in maybes

I just learned that the HPOP oil needs changed and there is an additive that can be added I am looking or recommendations please

I also know there is an oil passage modification that can be done but I can not find the youtube link of Bill Hewitts

I would attach a video but I don't know how yet

Any direction or positive fixes would be greatly appreciated

Thank you so much ! :thup:

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Don't worry about the HPOP oil change. That's a hotly debated topic, but it basically boils down to getting an extra quart of oil out of the engine. Some of us do it, others don't but it isn't the cause of your issue.

The CPS that Ford used to replace the original black (the grey replacement) is known to cause a high PERDEL in #3 and #8. PERDEL is percent deceleration - the value measured in a cylinder contribution test. There are other CPSs that do a better job of triggering that injector - notably the dark blue CPS that came on the 94-98 models. I would start by swapping the CPS to that model. Ford's part number is F4TZ-12K073-C

Don't do the ICP sensor or IPR valve. Those components would affect all 8 cylinders equally so you can't go and blame an individual injector's behavior on that.

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
With the compression on #3, you may have something mechanical going on with that cylinder, like a cracked piston or broken ring. You didn't say what the other cylinder compression numbers were, so it could be nothing but normal wear. Normally, a low cylinder would be at least 25% below any others by Ford's criteria for doing something about it. If the rest were in the 400 psi range, then you might consider sticking a borescope into #3 for a look.

With 225k miles you wouldn't expect a problem with a cylinder, but it does occasionally happen.

You've changed too many parts BTW in your search for a cure. That's usually not a good way to go. Hard on the wallet. Like RT said, don't worry about ICP or IPR or anything else related to all cylinders. Don't swap the IDM, either. That likely won't fix the issue either, and you'll be out the cost for that.

Welcome to TheDieselStop

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AWESOME NEWS !!!

Thank you guys so much I truly don't want to do a motor I was really fearing it was a broken piston skirt as one youtube video I found last year

would a cam sensor really throw a funny code at one injector? and cause a clacking noise
I would be happy to share my video if I knew how I know how to text it or email it if anyone is interested

Thank you again guys !!!
:thup:

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Upload the video to YouTube and put a link here.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
is it more noticeable at idle when its cold?

I bet your hearing the infamous #8 injector knock. it gets starved for fuel and oil and after a long time (200k miles) it starts getting noisy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the info
I did some research on the different CPS units and there is a difference in them and I am hoping that my noise will disappear with a change out. Also he noise will stop when the #3 injector is unplugged

Do I am going to try a link to youtube for the video I have
https://youtu.be/VN5bqKSQHPk

Thank you all again !!!

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
That almost sounds like a collapsed lifter. That would explain the decreased compression as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you,
If it were a collapsed lifter would I have not found play in the rocker to pushrod when I checked for cracks & bends?
If the last shop mentioned that the oiling looked light coming from the injector spout could my engine oil filter be plugged? or the pick up screen? or the pump be going out?
I have a CPS on order but for has discontinued the black but AutoZone says that have the correct part number

Thank you Guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also if I unplug the injector the noise will go away and if it were a collapsed lifter would it still make noise?

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Thank you,
If it were a collapsed lifter would I have not found play in the rocker to pushrod when I checked for cracks & bends?
If the last shop mentioned that the oiling looked light coming from the injector spout could my engine oil filter be plugged? or the pick up screen? or the pump be going out?
Step 1 - call Autozone and cancel your order. There are NO parts store CPS that work on our truck. The Echlin allegedly will if you install enough chokes on various wires to keep your windshield wipers from stalling the truck. Just get the part number I referenced above from Ford.

Step 2 - engine oil filter plugged? Really? Get them to explain two things. One, how would any restriction in the low pressure oil system affect only one injector. Two, get them to explain how the oil filter bypass valve works - maybe they'll do some research and learn something.

Bottom line - any low pressure oil problem would affect all cylinders equally. You'd starve the HPOP and the truck would die.

A collapsed lifter or a lifter that is frozen might not show up on visual exam - it would still hold the pushrod in place, just not lift / release the valve correctly. Since the valves open when there is still some pressure in the cylinder, disconnecting the injector could affect the noise level. I'm not saying that's what it is - just one possibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Diesel People!
Ok so I have the CPS changed out and we are still dealing with the clacking noise on the right bank
It started easier and it seems to be a slight bit quieter Thank you very much

Do you all think we are dealing with a stuck valve?
Or maybe a collapsed lifter?
Or maybe a flattened roller?

If there is any direction on how to diagnose any of these that would be awesome
If there is any input please help I am greatful truly for the input

Thank you immensely!!!

https://youtu.be/dtIB-M860QE

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
You'd have to pull the valve cover and set up a dial indicator on each of the rockers to measure the travel as compared to its neighbor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello group

It is highly likely that the lifters are the issue on #3 correct?
since all the electronic issues have been addressed and there is no change it should be mechanical correct?

So if I am going to measure them it will just tell me weather it is the intake or exhaust correct?
if I am into it that far would it hurt to just change both? they are roller lifters so there is no wear or break in issues like a flat tappet correct?
And ford factory lifters would be most compatible with a change out correct?

Thank you guys!

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
International factory lifters repackaged into very expensive Ford blue plastic bags would be the correct lifters.

I'm not betting the farm this is the problem - but its easy enough to check. It could also be a broken piston skirt or something like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Truly Thank you for all your time and info
So to check weather the lifter roller is flat or collapsed is there a videos anywhere on this process and what to look for?
I have a dial indicator and do understand and have used it I just done know weather the motor should be cold and turn it but hand? have it warm and turn it by hand? running and watch different rockers?
Any guidance would be appreciated

Thank you very much

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shoot!

I really don't want it to be a broken piston skirt.
Can anyone walk me through testing for a collapsed lifter? or flattened roller?
I have a dial indicator do I check them cold or pumped up? can I check valve lash while its running? what should the lash be?

Thank you everyone!

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
No valve lash - these are hydraulics. Again, check the height of a known good rocker at maximum lift. Compare that to the #3 rocker. Intake against intake, exhaust against exhaust. If you have a collapsed lifter, the maximum height is going to be reduced. Again, this could also be a flat cam. If the lifter is collapsed, on minimum lift, you may indeed feel some play in the rocker movement but might not depending on if the lifter is rebounding at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts