The Diesel Stop banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes however a deisel dosnt produce any harmful emissions but i dont do this for any customers do to emission law even ford will tell you that deisels dont produce harmful emmision and to speek of this how many people hand bigger exhaust on these trucks the big round thing on the exhuast is a conveter most dont put back on anyway

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a problem with coolant leak. Will a pressure check detect a leak if you have a bad EGR Cooler? I took mine to the dealership and they replaced the EGR valve. They said I was over filling the reservoir. But I'm not!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've got a problem with coolant leak. Will a pressure check detect a leak if you have a bad EGR Cooler? I took mine to the dealership and they replaced the EGR valve. They said I was over filling the reservoir. But I'm not!
Contrary to what you may believe SonnyG, you may be. There was a TSB issued quite some time ago about the fill marks on the coolant reservoir. When the truck is cold, your coolant shouldn't be filled above the MIN mark, otherwise, it is considered overfilled. Hope this helps, just in case you were using those marks as a guide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How do you run the KOEO on-demand self test to establish the EGR valve closed position? And what does KOEO mean. Also what kind of cleaning solution should you use to clean the egr valve?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would like more info on the welding it shut plugging it back in no CEL ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an '05 Powerstroke with right at 75K miles on it with no issues so far. Chipped and 4" Straight pipe almost since birth. I drive it like i stole it atleast a couple times a week. I was told to do this until I could get the funds to put ARP studs in and get rid of that horrible egr system. While I am waiting on that day would cleaning it be a good idea or should I not mess with it until I begin to have problems??? Also EC Stroker how did you put the high idle on there? I have a high idle setting on my SCT programmer but I believe that means it will make it high idle all the time, not just when I want it to. Also, will the higher idle help the egr to not cycle as much???? Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Under the dash there is two wires that are suppose to be for the pto hooked them up to a switch . Works really well for the ac in hot weather so the wife does not burn up LOL. I would have to look as to what cool the wires are I have CRS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well guys I attempted to do the egr valve cleaning process.. After doing a tons of reading on here and all went well. It was a slow process beings that is was my 1st time doing it. I printed out the ( Diesel Technician Society ) just to be sure I didnt miss any steps. I poped the valve out with a bent coat hanger with hooks and a pry bar. I went inside and started to clean with a small tooth brush and mini screwdriver and papertowels. I used gum cutter spray, works great. I sprayed and scrubed several times. Make sure you pull the actuator fully out to get the inner side of the lips. then I got a baby food jar and filled it with cleaner and put the valve in to soak. Worked perfect the top sat just above where the where the weep holes are. Let it soak for 10 min wiped off and will install tomorrow morning. I was a bit nervous at first but once your into it there is no need to be scared. This picture was taken from another site!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Egr Valve

Does the EGR valve have to be cleaned or replaced by the dealer or can I do it myself? Anyone have directions on doing so?? Thanks, Stucky
WHY NOT DO WHAT I DID.WENT BEHIND OUR LOCAL FORD DEALER SHOP TO THE TRASH BIN AND DUG OUT AN OLD EGR VALVE.TOOK IT HOME CLEANED IT UP AND NOW HAVE A SPARE IN THE TRUCK.DUH.THEY HAVE ALL KINDS OF SPARE PARTS IN THE DUMPSTER JUST GOT TO GO DUMPSTER DIVING.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2005 F350 4 door Dually with the 6.0 Power Stroke . I am wondering with all of the threads and replys about the EGR valve what should I do to get better fuel mileage and longer life out of my truck. I am getting about 14.5 mpg on average and I am running about 60 mph in order to stay just under 2000 rpm the truck has the 410 rearend in it. The truck is 4 wheel drive and has 34000 miles on it that is the biggest reason that I bought the truck. I have never owned a diesel truck before so this is all new to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I see a lot of people talking about egr delete and such but I was wondering if I have no symptoms or seem to not have a problem with my truck. 06 with 153k. Should I do the egr delete or just leave it alone and clean it? Please advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Ford PC/ED (powertrain control/emissions diagnostic) manual tells us that when we replace the EGR valve we need to repeat the KOEO OnDemand self test. During this test, the PCM "learns" the EGR closed position.

After any EGR changes... replacement or cleaning, I highly recommend running the KOEO on-demand self test to establish the EGR valve closed position baseline....
New to the PSD and would like to clean my EGR valve. How is this, KOEO done/what are the steps? Turn the key to the on position then off for a certain number of cycles? Then should I see something in the info center? Or is this something totally different. I saw this question asked above but did not see a reply. Maybe I missed it or it was a PM?

·
Registered
111 Posts
New to the PSD and would like to clean my EGR valve. How is this, KOEO done/what are the steps? Turn the key to the on position then off for a certain number of cycles? Then should I see something in the info center? Or is this something totally different. I saw this question asked above but did not see a reply. Maybe I missed it or it was a PM?
According the faqs, you have to have a "NGS" no idea what a NGS is, but I'll bet it's not something you can buy at your local auto parts store. I don't know if there's a way to do it without the NGS.

Key On Engine Off (KOEO) On-Demand Self Test

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is what an NGS Tester is: OEM TOOLS
As far as I know, you can use a diagnostic code reader that can reset the codes through the DLC (Data Link Connector). NGS stands for New Generation Star tester! Thus, you reset the diagnostic codes with the key on and engine off via your code reader that is capable of resetting the diagnostic codes. I am in the process of doing this now with a cleaned up EGR valve. I hope it works and I don't have to buy a new EGR valve!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update!

Update, I did the egr cleaning and cleared the codes, fired it up and revved the engine a bit and rechecked. Glory be, no CEL and no other annoying codes so far. Will have to drive it for a while to see if it really worked.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My check engine light came on earlier this week so I cleaned the EGR valve which was really dirty. I put it back in but the check engine light is still on. I had the same problem and the dealer replaced the EGR valve under warranty but of course it is now out of warranty. How do I get the light to turn off. Do I just wait and the computer will clear itself?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Pull the number ten fuse in the under the hood fuse box for twenty seconds.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.