I have done the following with great success to get the shine back:
1) remove the wheels (and tires if feasible, but I have done it both ways)
2) strip using paint remover
3) clean and put wheel back on the rear, still on jackstands
4) put in gear and polish with a scotchbrite pad (this will put back the circular lines that are factory)
5) spray with clear (preferably out of a gun). I usually add a little bit of black to the clear, again to replicate the factory look.
This is a good long afternoon project but is worth the effort. It is not difficult. They should look good for 3 years if you use good clearcoat.
Good luck if you try it!