The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I ordered replacement clearance lights per the shop but I am a little perplexed as to what ultimately needs to be done, or what doesn't need doing. The shop said the upper left hand fuse was melted because water entered the cracked lenses up top on the clearance lights. They said they would have to install an auxiliary fuse outlet to attach to the fuse box in order to allow my new clearance lights to work again. Then the service manager said to order the lights and he'll do it on the side for cash... Not impressed. Apologies if these are dumb questions, but I simply don't have a grasp on the electrical system/requirements. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Update: I installed a new 15 amp fuse and the lights work as they should. I've ordered replacement lights in case the water thing is a real issue, and no, I won't have the shop guy do it on the side. I'll just plug them in myself.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Water in a roof light can't damage a fuse under the dash. But it IS known for dash fuse terminals to melt. Usually for the 25-30A fuses because as the terminals age, they can't pass as much current as the fuse can, so the terminals get hotter than the fuse does.

(click this text)

Yes, the original roof light gaskets are known to dry, shrink, crack, & leak. So do the lenses. Synthetic polymer technology from the 80s wasn't what it is today. The best fix is to swap them for modern LEDs that look identical (or however you want them to look). They draw less current, last longer, are brighter, and are easier to seal to the roof (because they can be glued down).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts