The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just replaced the fuel filter and now its leaking amassive amount of fuel. It's not coming from the filter area, but my friend pulled the fuel/water lever under the hood recently. Not it leaks. How do i close it? Do i pull the handle or push to close?

Your help is much appreciated. It's a lot of fuel leaking after the filter change. ..

2000 e350 7.3 diesel

Corey

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
On yours I think you pull to close it.....BUT are you sure you are not leaking from the Lid ? Did you put oil on the gasket before you tightened it ? It is easy to cross thread the lid and / Or pinch the gasket....The Bevel on the gasket should face upwards......If you have a flat gasket you should replace it with a bevelled one...they seal better....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it. Thank you. I had to disconnect the handle from the assembly and push the handle/cable down while holding the exterior sheath.

Thank you for your response.

Now it just won't start and is puffing white smoke from the exhaust. But hey not dumping fuel. That's a win. ..right?

·
Registered
651 Posts
White smoke is caused by raw, un-burned fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:
· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might have air in the fuel system, if you first turn the key, but don't start it, let the lift pump push fuel, do this a few times, then start, the smoke will clear after a few minutes, oh and fix the leaking filter cap. or whatever is leaking first...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I did get it started, but the issue is Glow Plug related.

I found the Service Manual for the 7.3 and I am about to go through the diagnostic process.

Hopefully it's something simple. Changing the Glow Plugs look like a chore.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Corey, you may want to start out by checking your fuel pressure under load. Tha can tell you a-lot! If it's low, check your in tank filter cartridges for clogging as well. Some of the van tank linings are delaminating and the silver flakes are packing the screen filters in the in tank fuel pick up assembly, others get clogged over time. My van was driving me crazy until I found the problems. I ended up doing a Hutch mod, 5 micron pre filter mounted near frame rail, new Spectre fuel tank and it has run perfect ever since. I also noticed that over time, rough roads/vibration combined with the bend in the fuel bowl drain cable cause it to wiggle which prematurely wears out the o-ring. My fix for that was making a small bracket with holes in it allowing me to use small zip ties to hold the cable handle in. Haven't had any issues with that since then. The trucks don't have the cable assembly so they don't have that issue. Second option would be to disconnect the cable from the yellow drain lever but then you have to reach across the exhaust outlet from back passenger side of engine with dog house removed. Either way, get rid of the POS plastic resonator box and put a 2" rubber cap over the hole if you're going to work on the van yourself! If you determine that your glow plug relay is shot, I would recommend replacing it with a Western Plow relay instead of the factory one. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts