The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 F-350 7.3. 4x2 dually, 3in down pipe, open air filter
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok y’all I’m back with another question! This group never fails me.
so on my 1997 f350 manual trans I read that if it grinds reverse to check the clutch bushing. So I checked it and the previous owner had it wired to stay. Would that be the issue? My next question I noticed that the neutral safety switch is wired up just hanging from the bottom of my dash still plugged in. Would that be a problem? I know my truck moves with started in gear so that ain’t an issue for me. Is their any other reason for it
Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Metal Bumper

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
Man, that is some Mickey-Mouse work right there! I would at least "un-wire" the linkage and inspect the linkage nub and clutch master rod for wear. You could get a new bushing it the parts are OK. If the parts are worn, I would get one of the "heim joint" fixes off ebay: 87-97 Ford F150 F250 F350 5-Speed Clutch Rod PERMANENT FIX REPAIR Heim Joint Mod | eBay . I would probably fix the switch too, but you could leave that if you wish. Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, that is some Mickey-Mouse work right there! I would at least "un-wire" the linkage and inspect the linkage nub and clutch master rod for wear. You could get a new bushing it the parts are OK. If the parts are worn, I would get one of the "heim joint" fixes off ebay: 87-97 Ford F150 F250 F350 5-Speed Clutch Rod PERMANENT FIX REPAIR Heim Joint Mod | eBay . I would probably fix the switch too, but you could leave that if you wish. Cheers!
I already ordered the heim joint because I read how bad those bushings are. Do you think that would be the cause of reverse grinding??

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
If the truck moves when you start it in gear and grinds going into gear, yes that should be your problem. If you don't get at least 1/2" of travel at the clutch slave cylinder rod at the transmission, then you have to look at that missing bushing and also possible pedal box mainshaft bushings (probably the clutch linkage bushing though). Cheers!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The bushings are NOT bad. They get destroyed when the cross-shaft bushing wears, allowing the cross-shaft to turn inside the pedal box. When you fix the pedal, the original-style pushrod bushing will last decades. This page explains more:

(click this text)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bushings are NOT bad. They get destroyed when the cross-shaft bushing wears, allowing the cross-shaft to turn inside the pedal box. When you fix the pedal, the original-style pushrod bushing will last decades. This page explains more:

(click this text)
Ya I think i will order those bushings as well. But I think I will still do the heim mod because I don’t want to take a chance of that clutch popping out. Ford could have came up with a better design on these models. I’ve noticed on the 99-03 it was solid I believe and didn’t have those bushings

1 - 6 of 6 Posts