The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. let's see how this new Off-Topic forum works.
My contention is that CO2 is inescapable since it is the product of respiration and all of us living things from bugs to grass produce carbon dioxide.

So if that is true, and it is true. How will we be able to control CO2? It looks like some of us must stop breathing in order to stop global warming.

Now if this is a political comment please take it off and I will try something else.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'll be a sucker :icon_wink:

Your basic premise is flawed---all living things do not exhale carbon dioxide---quit the contrary---all plants--with some very limited exceptions "inhale" carbon dioxide as “feed stock” for the photosynthesis process and “exhale” oxygen.

And---so you ask---what happened to the carbon—it is sequestered in the plant—at least as long as the plant is alive.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
O.K. let's see how this new Off-Topic forum works.
My contention is that CO2 is inescapable since it is the product of respiration and all of us living things from bugs to grass produce carbon dioxide.

So if that is true, and it is true. How will we be able to control CO2? It looks like some of us must stop breathing in order to stop global warming.

Now if this is a political comment please take it off and I will try something else.
Mushrooms do the same things animals do, they breath oxygen and push out CO2.
No more mushroom pizza?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"Carbon dioxide is produced by all animals, plants, fungi and microorganisms during respiration and is used by plants during photosynthesis." Sorry for the underlines, but I copied it out of Wikipedia. I believe neither one of us is in error. My statement had to do with respiration and what I believe is the foolishness of holding one item (CO2) responsible for global warming. I heard one scientist say that we can no more control global warming than we can control a tornado, a blizzard, etc. . Our only path is to learn to adapt to it.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
"Carbon dioxide is produced by all animals, plants, fungi and microorganisms during respiration and is used by plants during photosynthesis." Sorry for the underlines, but I copied it out of Wikipedia. I believe neither one of us is in error. My statement had to do with respiration and what I believe is the foolishness of holding one item (CO2) responsible for global warming. I heard one scientist say that we can no more control global warming than we can control a tornado, a blizzard, etc. . Our only path is to learn to adapt to it.
I agree with you 100% We'd have an easier time putting out the sun.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
My take on the whole thing is hasn't the earth been warming up ever since the last ice age? Also in my neck of the woods you could of fooled everybody that we were getting warmer. Quite a few days below zero along with record snow fall.

Jim

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't necisarily agree with the "dooms day" hystaria about global warming. I agree there are factors that we can't control. For example, valcanoes supposedly have a certain chemical make-up that is found in their plums. Supposedly these chemicals help trap green-house gases in the atmosphere and return it to earth.:shrug03:

The only conclusion I have for myself is that the earth naturally stores CO2 in swaps, forests, coal, gasses, oil, ect, and we are deliberatly returning CO2 back into the atmosphere at staggering rates compared to how long it took to put it there.

That's my opinion, and we all know how those are. :jester:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According some some serious climatologists the lack of sun spot activity might spell another cooling period not dissimilar to a mini ice age. For my part, being a farmer of sunlight I can do without too much snow and ice.
The rapidly approaching chaos which will result when our large cities run out of drinking water is more of a problem then CO2. Since water is a finite resource I doubt we will be able to fix that problem, no matter who get the Nobel Prize.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm with the rest of you guys. And like others have said, this winter has rambled on long enough. I talked to my dad in southern Idaho, it's still been getting down to 23 degrees cosistantly at night. An average year we should see a low of about 33-35. Makes the potatoes that we've planted already rather chilly at night.

Water is the biggest issue here too.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Possibility?

Just a theroy, but is it possible that global warming becomes a big issue during election years due to all of the hot matter being exhaled.:jester:

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
I'm all for clean air!

I agree with you 100% We'd have an easier time putting out the sun.
I'm very much for saving energy and not importing energy but many many scientists are calling BS on CO-2 as a pollutant. CO yes, NOX yes, particles yes but CO-2 just doesn't belong there.

Ya-all take it from your old buddy roofeditor, I know all about the square root of negative one :lol: and eventually will be proved right on the CO-2 boondoggle.

·
Registered
860 Posts
MT765, Is that a Big Bud tractor in your avatar? The thing looks sweet, can't tell what it is, it almost looks like a Cat, but the white color is throwing me off.

Some might argue that they don't do well for global warming. :lol:

·
Registered
396 Posts
WhiteGardens, it is a Cat. It's the special anniversary edition they made last year. I don't remember why they painted it white, other then to draw attention to it. I do remember that it does have a straight pipe so ya, some could argue it doesn't do well for global warming. But I heard it sounds awesome! Some farmer from the midwest bought it too. We have a older version of one, an MT865, it'll burn about 27 gallons of diesel an hour when you work her hard. But the older 95E's will burn about 35 gallons of diesel an hour so the new ones could be a little "greener" so to speak.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Talking about the tractors and CO2: I'm sure some of you have heard of farmers pumping the exhaust from the tractors back into the ground. Some say it's for carbon credits, but from what I understand it's all about the NOx. The purpose is to break the NOx down once it gets into the ground. In the end you should have nitrogen and oxygen, but the few that I've seen do it have seen no benefits. I wonder how much the CO2 stays in the ground though? Is it enough to get carbon credits?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Oh, I grew up on a farm. I still go back to be a big boy with big toys.

My family has decided to go 100% with bio-diesel. At least that's a start in the green direction and helps to support their fellow farmers. It's a tough argument about CO2 emissions and large equipment. There will always be a need for large earth movers, trains, big rigs ect.

Sweet tractor though, never had a chance to drive a Cat. My father had a John Deere with tracks and that's the closest I've come. From what I hear though, they don't compare.

Thanks for the pics :thumbsup:

·
Registered
396 Posts
We would run biodiesel if it was available here. None of the distributors want to sell it. There was a new 40 million gallon per year plant being built, but they ran out of money and got cold feet. It was going to use canola which we can grow here more so then soybeans. And like you said, CO2 is going to be a tough issue with trains, ships, and what all else that are vital to the economy.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
I never heard of this!

Talking about the tractors and CO2: I'm sure some of you have heard of farmers pumping the exhaust from the tractors back into the ground. Some say it's for carbon credits, but from what I understand it's all about the NOx. The purpose is to break the NOx down once it gets into the ground. In the end you should have nitrogen and oxygen, but the few that I've seen do it have seen no benefits. I wonder how much the CO2 stays in the ground though? Is it enough to get carbon credits?
Sounds a little hokey? Got any links?

·
Registered
860 Posts
To me it doesn't sound hokey, but I don't know of anyone around here that does that. It's about the same principle of appling anhydrus amonia (SP?) You use a pull behind bar with knives that inject the gas into the ground where it can naturally break down into nitrogen. Good stuff, the corn loves it. You can tell where you didn't get a good seal from the soil too as the corn is about 2 feet shorter than the rest.

Too bad about not having bio in your area of Idaho. If you guys do get it someday, watch out though. The solvents in the bio have been breaking down the sludge in the bulk tanks and tractor tanks. Makes for a lot of fuel-filter changes and degrading rubber lines.

·
Registered
396 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts