The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't see how your turning radius is going to improve by going to a coilover kit. Obviously tires rubbing the leaf springs is the problem, but the springs are underneath the frame, not outboard of it. If you get rid of the springs you can't really turn much more before the tires hit the frame. Are the 05+ frames narrower up front or something, it seems like the only way to turn sharper?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The frame is higher up. where the tire is the largest diamter is right about inline with the leaf springs.
On my truck, I only hit the front of the springs right now...not the rear side. Now, I'd probably still catch the 4-link bars of say the full traction kit due to the width of my tires. But, my turning doesn't really bother me.

As for the 05+ trucks, frames are the same width, WMS to WMS is wider, no leaf springs and radius arms aren't as wide as leaf springs.

The Super 60 on the 450/550 trucks is even wider....hence the large flares to cover them up. They made the track width very wide up front.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the Fabtech kit installed w/an 8" lift. The ride quality is alot better than with the leafs. What i've noticed now is that the front end rides smooth but the rear is still a little rought especially empty. I've taking my truck to the desert w/the new suspension and it rides 10x better than the leafs. I looked at the Full Traction set up myself and the Fabtech set-up seemed like the better buy for myself. The Full Traction set-up is about $4000 w/King 3.0 coilovers and the Fabtech Kit is about $5100 w/the 4.0 Dirtlogic shocks (which are massive). I added some links to my pics below.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/Malike25/0316071709.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/Malike25/0316071643.jpg

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sweet truck, you have a complete side shot or two all finished?

For the rear, what springs are you running?

You could always do coilovers in the rear as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have deaver springs (DR) in the rear w/2 Fox Reservoir shocks. I was thinking of doing the coilover conversion in the rear but its a lot of $$$$. I was told that by doing coilover in the rear I will lose towing capacity. I'll load a pic later on today of a side shot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Fabtech 8" 4 link coil over conversion with Dirtlogic 4.0 coilovers. I only paid $3,850 for mine...no way I was paying $5,100.
Rides nice but a set of King 3.0 multi spring coilovers would have been nice.

I have Skyjacker softride springs in the rear along with Firestone bags to keep the rear from sagging when towing my toyhauler.

I see that there are rear coilover kits, however, can I still use the air bags for towing? If I could get the rear to feel like the front with coilovers, it would be money well spent.

Besides the Procomp rear coilover kit, who else makes a rear kit that is worth a damn? Can I make the air bags still work with these? If I could get the bags to work with the rear coilover, that would be the best of both worlds! Drive unloaded without the buckboard ride and fill the air bags to assist the load when towing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Now, I'm not an expert on setting up coilovers or anything.....

But depending on how much weight you tow I'd think you could do it
-->Pic<--

As for installing load assist air bags....it would most likely take some custom mounts, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hey coilover converters - one of the main reasons I want to do a conversion is the ATTROCIOUS (sing with me now...OHHH Give me 40 Acres and I'll turn this rig arouuuuuuund....) turning radius on my F350 dualie. Do you get the same reduction with these kits as you have with the newer trucks with coilover fronts? (Good thing TDS doesn't have sound).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynatrac makes as kit that is supposed to improve your turning radius. It runs about $3000 and gets rid of the sealed unit bearings on teh front end and uses the classic roller ball bearings. It also does not require a lift. Dynatrac front end conversion

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does anyone make one that you could lift LESS THAN 4 inches? I would like one with about a 2 inch lift!!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The problem with offering a system with less than 6" of lift is the physical dimensions of the coil-overs themselves. For example a King 8" travel coil-over has a compressed length of 16". You could run a coil combination which would get the truck down to about 4" over stock, however this would not allow for very much compression travel from ride height. This would result in frequent bottoming. The only way this could be accomplished is by building custom coil-over towers which extend further up into the wheelwells. However this would require relocation of some components under the hood.

·
Registered
54 Posts
xenonx1,

Did you pay $3850 installed or is that just the kit? I paid $5100 for parts and labor. Outlaw Off Road wanted $7500!! I told them they were crazy! They had my truck for about 2 weeks due to some other issues that came up. All of my ball joints were shot!

·
Registered
179 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
xenonx1,

Did you pay $3850 installed or is that just the kit? I paid $5100 for parts and labor. Outlaw Off Road wanted $7500!! I told them they were crazy! They had my truck for about 2 weeks due to some other issues that came up. All of my ball joints were shot!

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $3850 for the kit and then $850 to install. They had my truck for three days and didn't get the alignment right. Had to take it back. I do like the ride and the kit looks pretty damn beefy. I don't know how some of the posters are judging quality of one kit over another. I don't see this thing ever having a problem. Not sure about the shocks though. I had one leak and had to send back to Fabtech to be serviced.

I would like to check out rear coilover kits. The oneupoffroad kit appears to only be a 12" and not 8". That would lead me back to Procomp with their kit. Need to find out if their kit will work on the older trucks. Not quite sure of the differences between the 08 rear end and the older trucks.

Anyone else know of a company that makes an 8" rear coilover conversion that will work on an 01?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Comparing the Fabtech vs. Full Traction is generally in build and geometry (adj. 4-link bars or not, link ends, instant center of the geometry, etc..)
If you ever see a good side shot of a truck with a Fabtech 8" and a truck with a Full Traction 8" you can see the Full Traction has better geometry to the way that they setup their 4-link (i.e. the Full Traction bars have less of an angle to them).

As for rear kits....I know there are some places in CA that show setups on their website (but they are full weld-on and they do the install).

Don't know of any manufacturers that make a rear conversion for the SDs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pro-Comp just came out with a rear coil-over set-up

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yep, I've seen pics of the Pro Comp 5-link rear setup.

Personally, I'm not impressed with the way that they set it up.

I'd go custom on the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Full Traction also makes a 4inch..
But, how do i know what shock to get? How long can i go? whats the best setup for offroad stuff?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anybody put the newer coil-over front suspension on to replace the leaf spring front-end? I'm surprised there is not a company making this available. I guess the only way to do it is the get a wrecked Superduty. I'd love to do this to my early 99.

Tim
So, has anyone done the swap using OE parts? I have my Early 99 to look at, but do not have access to an 05+ to study.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, people have swapped the 05+ axle and steering over to 99-04 trucks.
Has anyone done a write-up on this? Have any vendors attempted to put a package together or would this basically be all salvageable parts?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts